Feminism and Islam

May 22nd, 2007, in Society, by

Feminism is not suitable for Indonesian women.

Eny Dwiningsih, a professor at the Islam State University in Jakarta (UIJ), said in a seminar called "Developing Intellectual Interest in Womens' Issues" at the North Sumatra University in Medan on 18th May that Islam rejected feminism.

Feminism was dangerous to Islam because it was infused with the spirit of secularism, opposed to sharia law, and based on false assumptions, she said.

The secularised capitalist nations of the world had for a long time been attempting to force feminism on Muslims, in the name of womens' freedom, and they suggested that personal freedom generally was the answer to many problems, and that Islam was the source of the Islamic world's backwardness.

Faithful Muslim women were confused today and had lost their self-confidence and belief in their special roles in the family and society, and this showed that the secular capitalists had partly succeeded in their mission: republika

This is the target of the movement, that is, to cause Muslims to lose faith in the ability of Islam to answer the problems that women face.

163 Comments on “Feminism and Islam”

1. avatar Aluang Anak Bayang says:

Oigal from Oz? If he is from Australia, I do not think he should qualify to make any comment as they lacked integrity. Australian are racist and most bigotted of all bules. I say this from my time spent in Australia and interacting with them on daily basis.

2. avatar Aluang Anak Bayang says:

3) We don’t need another Ibu Kartini but we need women who willing to give pregnancy for the birth of another “great man” like Gajahmada, Sukarno and Sudarsono.

Cuk, you hurt my feeling. You have Gajahmada, Sukarno and Sudarsono, what about God’s brother Aluang? I unlocked the chain around your neck, and set you free.

Anyway, it is still good news for me. At least your 3 idols are Javaneses, and not Salahudin, Arafat and Sadam.

I am so happy that finally a great woman couldn’t resist to comments on the bigot man post.

regard,
    provokator no.1

What do you mean?

3. avatar Tomaculum says:

Aluang

Australian are racist and most bigotted of all bules.

1.The word “bule” express racistic thinking.
    2.”Most bigotted of all bules”: all bules are racist, but the australian are the worst.

Believe me, I know many caucasians which are not racistic and I know many racistic thinking browns, yellows, blacks and reds. And what about us and our relationship to our sisters and brothers from Papua or to our sisters and brothers from chinese descendants? Free from racism?
    – you don’t know some racistic france, swiss, austrian, russian etc., they are horrible.
    (I’m brown and I live in Europe, so I think I know what I’m talking about, am I?).

4. avatar Aluang Anak Bayang says:

Dear Tomaculum,

1. Bule is short for white man in Indonesia. If you call someone a dog or a pig (like what Allah caled the Jews in the qu’ran), that is derogatory.

2. Yes, Australia is the only western country where once you lived and get to know the locals (excludes the Greek and Italian migrants), you disliked them. The Anglo Saxon stocks are downright racist and aggressive. Of course there are some great people among them, but they are in the minority.

…… And what about us and our relationship to our sisters and brothers from Papua or to our sisters and brothers from chinese descendants? Free from racism?

You have not followed my previous postings, otherwise you would not have said this. I don’t want to repeat myself. I have lived in various western countries including Australia. I am not saying this from what I’ve read, but from daily interaction with the white Australians. Besides, I have not come across anyone with positive view of Australians, except those that visited Australia briefly.

5. avatar Achmad Sudarsono says:

All My Friend, there will be many chances to talk about Bules, Bigots, and Aussies. In fact, if you feel so strongly, the Forum Betawi Rempug said they’d be sweeping Aussies today. See what company the anti-Bule league is in! But this is supposed to be a discussion on Feminism and whether or not it’s suited to Indonesia.

6. avatar Cukurungan says:

Achmad Sudarsono Says:

Cukurungan:

For me I don’t have any objection with Feminism as long as they don’t touch Man privilege given by God to have 4 halal wives.

7. avatar Cukurungan says:

Aluang:

Cukurungan:

You haven’t yet qualified becomes a full Man you’re only a boy which already enjoy life by riding a motor bike. We are the full man which couldn’t be satisfied with a woman only.

8. avatar Achmad Sudarsono says:

Cuk,

Hey. C’mon, man. Enough already. 🙂

9. avatar Tomaculum says:

Aluang,
    last words to this:
    – bule means albinism and is a symptom of a disease named phenylketonuria and is correlated with idiotism and epilepsie.

10. avatar Achmad Sudarsono says:

Tomaculum,

Interesting point — are you sure ‘bule’ means albinism? I always thought it did, meaning an ‘Albino cow’. Perhaps we should take this up elsewhere. But if it does mean albino, it is a pretty nasty term. Even ‘Londo’ or ‘Orang Barat’ is better. If one person is a ‘bule’, then by default, other people are ‘inlander’, ‘cina’, or even worse ‘gook.’ Not so nice.

11. avatar Ihaknt says:

Aluang maybe you were the one who was being annoying. I’ve never been discriminated against in 9 years I’ve been in Oz. Got a great job, got a great life and if anyone is being racist, I’d sue them! Easy. The key is to show them that you are also a human being. Indos are racist too, even worse it’s towards their own kind, i.e don’t marry Madurese, don’t want to work for Chinese Indo, not giving job to person from different island, and lots more. BTW Ozs are not just white. Walk down to China town and you’ll find so many Indo there you’d think you’re in Mangga Dua!

How did this get from feminism to racist white skinned people (or just racism)?

12. avatar Aluang Anak Bayang says:

A very brief one since this is out of topic. I am a civilian now, but I had my cadet traineeship in Pucka, Kapooka, Bandiana and few other camps. Although nothing physical was directed at me, I have seen physical and racist comments directed toward other migrant groups and gays in the army. I had also lived in Sweden and Canada on exchange program for several years. I have this opportunity to compare how Asians are received by the locals. In Europe and Canada, you just can’t help but love the people. In Australia, you are wary of them. I had been thought of as Cambodian because of my brown skin and called derogatory names associated with Indo-Chinese. Well, there are more to it, as my children are educated there. But maybe under the right heading. Cheers.

13. avatar Tomaculum says:

Achmad,
    that is why I have so much problem with the word “bule” in this relation. Also because my wife is a caucasian. And she is so much and so less racist like you and me.

14. avatar Achmad Sudarsono says:

Pak Tomaculum, Tks. Well there you go. BTW might be better to shift our belongings on this one to the anti-Australian conversation. 🙂

15. avatar dewaratugedeanom says:

Parvita says:

Fortunately, us women have the last call who can invest a child in our body, i.e. choose the best sperm to fertilize our eggs! Of course the best women will choose the best men so together they will create quality people with moral to make Indonesia better!

This is an enlightened and enlightening statement. It explains why there are so many morons in the world.
    The Truth has been revealed. Thank you.

16. avatar Cukurungan says:

The enlightenment and the truth couldn’t be revealed unless someone deliberately created a darkness.

17. avatar Janma says:

I think racism is normal. Most people are racist. But the difference is in how you let that color your dealings with others. I have many Indonesian friends living in Europe, racisim everywhere, you can’t base statements like “Australians are the most racist” just on your personal experience.

18. avatar Mohammed Khafi says:

Cukurungan said:

I would say it is more a matter of blindess rather than darkness, but at least some of us can see.

Peace

19. avatar Achmad Sudarsono says:

Heh Friend,

The Aussie is the most racist one. What about comedians such as ‘Kevin Bloody Wilson’ and ‘Rodney Rude’ ? Friend, they are the racist one. The Pribumi is the best one.

Oke Friend ?

20. avatar Dimp says:

Hey Achmad,

They are called comedians, their acts should be treated as comedy. Enough said.

21. avatar Achmad Sudarsono says:

Friend,

Their humors reveal the Australian character, with songs like ‘Grandad’s Got A Stiffy,’ and ‘I gave up wanking.’ Only the dumb one would find that funny, friend.

22. avatar Dimp says:

Well, some people have different taste in humour, you may not like it (but then you actually remember what they are about), I’ve heard of them but still prefer other funnier comedians. BTW, judging from the title of that two songs do not reflect that they are racists.

23. avatar Achmad Sudarsono says:

It’s just a question of the Australian character: boorish, crude, uneducated. They just want to hear humors about Grandad. Other songs include ‘that f–kn cat’s back’. Kevin Bloody Wilson has a song called ‘Living Next Door to Alan,’ about Australian aboriginals moving in next door to Alan Bond, the failed entrepreneur.

24. avatar Ihaknt says:

Ono, you’re 2 face. In anti-Australia article you sound like you’re on their side. But on this forum, which actually is about feminism, you sound like you’re against them.

25. avatar Dimp says:

Well Achmad,

Again nobody is forcing you to listen to their humour, if you don’t like it then just don’t listen to them. Simple.

But to generalise the whole Australia based on some comedians is just the same to generalise the whole Indonesia based on some people (ie. FPI, FBR).

26. avatar Achmad Sudarsono says:

Ihaknt,

In the East we are more comfortable with subtle, nuance, and contradictions inherent in complex debates. I suggest that you embrace the traditions of your civilization, and, of course, study the Pancasila in more depth, only then will my meaning be clear.

In any case, we’ve drifted off the topic of feminism. By the way, Mr. ‘Dimp’, I just downloaded ‘Living Next Door to Alan,’ a song which mocks aboriginals, and implies that the government’s welfare program includes luxury cars and yachts for them. Kevin Bloody Wilson was very popular in Australia in the 1980s.

27. avatar Dimp says:

Hi Achmad,

I don’t quite understand, in one hand you are saying that Australian comedies are boorish, crude, uneducated, yet you are still downloading and listening to them. So I am assuming that you yourself is a boorish, crude and uneducated.

KBW is popular in 1980s, so what? Just because he was popular doesn’t mean that every single Australian likes his act.

28. avatar Achmad Sudarsono says:

Friend,

I argue that KBW is the True Australia. All this stuff about multiculturalism, Sydney as a world-class city, the arts etc is just window dressing.

Just kidding. Just another half-hearted attempt to wind people up, which has been ridiculously easy on this blog. 🙂 In reality, though, there is an element of truth in the above. It’s just a question of how big that layer of society is. Getting smaller, I’d say, but you never know who the punters will react in the next decade.

29. avatar Dimp says:

Hi AS,

Just kidding. Just another half-hearted attempt to wind people up, which has been ridiculously easy on this blog. In reality, though, there is an element of truth in the above. It’s just a question of how big that layer of society is. Getting smaller, I’d say, but you never know who the punters will react in the next decade.

I agree that the multiculturalism as window dressing in Sydney, even though there are people with different cultures and backgrounds in Sydney, you can still see that they are divided into regions. Moslems in Lakemba, White supremacists in Cronulla and Maroubra. That is why the Cronulla riots happened, the government has failed to make people integrate with each other. They were free to form regions of culture rather than one multicultural region.

30. avatar Achmad Sudarsono says:

Yes, it’s true Australia has its share of problems. But why is it held to higher standards than other countries in the region ? Malaysia and Singapore actually have racism as official government policy. Ask a Korean in Japan, any foriegner in Korea, a Vietnamese in Cambodia, and an African in China about racism. Australia is often just a convenient pinata for the likes of Mahatir to take out his frustrations in the West; it’s close, small, and kickable. And the Australian government’ll always send their diplomats to kiss and make up.

Comment on “Feminism and Islam”.