Citizenship Law

Oct 4th, 2006, in News, by

The implementation of the new citizenship law seems to be progressing with unusual swiftness.

The new law, UU Kewarganegaraan, touted as a “revolutionary” change in the way that the state views citizenship and nationality, was passed by the parliament on July 11th and the affected government departments were at that time given nine months to prepare the necessary regulations and forms to allow it to be implemented.

On 29th September it was reported that the minister for Law & Human Rights, Hamid Awaluddin, had the previous week just completed two ministerial edicts concerning the new rules for citizenship. The first decree was concerned with the status of children of mixed marriages, marriages where one party was Indonesian and the other foreign. Such children will now receive Indonesian citizenship automatically, whereas in the past this was only possible where the father was Indonesian. Had the children been born to a foreign man and an Indonesian women they were previously regarded as aliens, and needed visas to live in the country of their birth.

The second decree issued by the minister lays out the details, including relevant forms and paperwork, for Indonesians abroad who have lost their citizenship because they did not report themselves to an Indonesian diplomatic mission for five years, to regain their original citizenship. Such people will now have three years in which to re-apply for it.

A further two decrees need to be issued in order for the law to come fully into effect.

127 Comments on “Citizenship Law”

  1. Chris says:

    Hi Busman,

    In the new 2011 regulations (which still haven’t taken effect officially) you have to be married for 3 years before your wife can sponsor you for a KITAP.

    In the meantime she can sponsor your Visa Sosial Budaya, if her KTP (Indonesian ID card) is for the same city as where you live. This is a 60-day visa, extendable 30 days at a time up to 6 months. The first time, you have to go to the Indonesian Embassy in e.g. Singapore.

  2. N Bird says:

    I am an Indonesian woman doing a good job.I became intimate with a foreigner and when he came to meet me in Indonesia recently, we got married. Both of us are Muslims. I want that he should stay in Indonesia with me. My income will be is enough for a modest living for me as well as my husband. My husband has gone back to his home country before expiry of his tourist visa. How can I help him come back here for a long time to live with me.

  3. Chris says:

    Dear N Bird,

    If your marriage was officially registered with the catatan sipil, you can sponsor him for a Visa Sosial Budaya. (Please see previous comment for details).

  4. Atif says:

    Its very simple. if ur marriage was registered then just go to the relevant immigration office and apply for your husband and be his sponsor. They will ask for an interview and hopefully the approval will be given, that approval will be sent to Indonesian embassy ur husband’s home country. he will go there and get the visa for a month, then he has to report to the same immigration office in the concerned area and get the relevant documents completed. I have gone through this, so its advised that dont go through agent. Its almost free but the agents will charge u very high…

  5. Huang says:

    Thanks for the information. One more question, if a man goes to Indonesia with tourist visa and marries, can his wife apply for his stay there?

  6. Chris says:

    if a man goes to Indonesia with tourist visa and marries, can his wife apply for his stay there?

    No, only residents – with a KITAS – can marry an Indonesian (at least officially).

    If you are on a tourist visa, you cannot get married in Indonesia.

  7. dhani says:

    I have Green Card and been living in Florida for 9 years.
    My question is how I can get double citizen? I don’t want to lose my Indo citizenship.
    If I can, do I have to use Emigration Lawyer? Or just online ?

    Thanks so much!!!

Comment on “Citizenship Law”.

RSS feed

Copyright Indonesia Matters 2006-2023
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact