Curing Homosexuality

Apr 2nd, 2008, in Opinion, by

The hardline stand taken by Indonesian clerics against homosexuality wins applause from Ross.

A welcome display of solidarity between established Islamic, Catholic, and Protestant faiths appeared in the Jakarta Post with statements from leaders disassociating themselves from the fringe elements who declared that perversion is acceptable to their followers.

Ma’aruf Amin, chairman of the Fatwa Commission at the Indonesia Ulema Council (MUI), said

It’s a curable disorder. There have been many cases where homosexuals have realized what they did was wrong and became heterosexuals again. It’s something that can be fought off.

Benny Susetyo of the Indonesian Bishops Council said:

According to official church documents, we weren’t born with sexual disorders. The church regards homosexual behavior as a psychological disorder that is curable.

A few days ago some nonsense was published in another JP report saying that homosexuality was a human condition and thus should be treated as bestown by God.

Similarly, leprosy should be treated as God-given and no cure sought? Kleptomaniacs should be allowed to steal and not given remedial attention by authorities?

Anyone who does anything nasty or unpleasant or downright revolting, as homosexuals like to do, can say that’s the way God – or Nature – made them. So we should turn a blind eye and let them get on with it?

Come on, let’s hear it for the ustads (Muslim clerics) when they get it right for once. Disorders can be cured, and children protected. Until the West wakes up and recriminalises homosexuality, expats should at least applaud Indonesians who take a stand for decency.

81 Comments on “Curing Homosexuality”

1. Murphy says:

Janma said:

Also, If homosexuality is a disease why would you have to criminalize it? Can you criminalize a disease? so now it’s illegal to have aids? or leprosy? or alcoholism for that matter?

I’m very sure that homosexuality is not a crime in Indonesia. I’ve never heard anybody here prosecuted for being homosexuals or having consensual anal sex. Such law exists only in the neighbouring Singapore and Malaysia. During Suharto era, there was even one gay cabinet member. Ironically, he got on the wrong side of law when he groped a waiter in a hotel in New Zealand.

Indonesian’s general attitude towards homosexuality is something in the line of “we know you exist, we won’t bother you as long as you keep your preference among yourselves”.

If your read the first part of Ross’ article, the comments from the above clerics are simply responses to the Gay Rights campaign to have the official religions sanctioning homosexuality. For many years I have never heard any clerics or reverends saying anything so openly anti-homosexuals in mass-media. Unless provoked, they won’t just do it out of the blue.

Why the gay activists wasting their time for this is beyond me. For many years, both Muslims and Christians in Indonesia generally turn blind eye to homosexuals. Confronting them (the religions) now will only turn friends into enemies.

2. Pena Budaya says:

Sputjam:

homosexuality goes against nature.

Pena Budaya:
    Homosexuality is helping this world from excessive population. It is not happened only to human but also animals. I am supporting gays and lesbian in saving this world from any more damaged by nasty newborn babies.

Sputjam said:

If homosexual marriages are allowed, these couples should not be allowed to adopt children.

Pena Budaya:
    Yeah right, do you think straight couple is better than homo couple? Open you mind, man! I saw and read news on many child abuses cases happened within straight couple’s families. This news is daily items in Indonesia.

Ross said:

Pena Budaya:
    ah, just another homo-phobic. typical insecure man.

3. shorty says:

if ‘homosexuality’ is a ‘disease’ which can be ‘cured’ by certain religious observance or practice then you’d have to conclude that such religions are an abject failure.

christianity has had around 2000 years, islam 1400. gays are still around and are gaining influence!

thank god (slip of the tongue – mmmmmm..) i’m an atheist

4. shorty says:

ps

i once considered being a trysexual – try anything once.

i rather liked a quote attributed to david bowie when asked about his sexuality…….as long as it’s wet, warm and has hair around it……………

5. Pena Budaya says:

I just read Ross’ comment to Achmad about pedophilic predilection that was more likely to be found in those of homosexual orientation as based Freund’s research. However, if you read that research from many sources as carefully as I could be, one of reliable source mentioned as following:

“pedophilia is a separate orientation from homosexuality and that the vast majority of molesters who target boys have either no interest in mature males or are heterosexual men who are attracted to the feminine characteristics of young boys.”

Please don’t read research study just in one source…or do you read it somewhere in anti-gay website??

6. Lairedion says:

Ross,

Take a look at this singlet. It addresses both your obsessions. Perfect for you to wear while sinking Bintangs on Jalan Jaksa. 🙂

7. Teng says:

Well… if it’s a curable disease… then do share with us the cure. Because I bet a lot of scared anxious homosexuals in Iran, in fear of being hanged, would just love to know how to be cured from this horrible disease

8. Achmad Sudarsono says:

Ross — this is awesome – keep it coming !

You’re a lunatic !

Your argument is:

“If god wanted us to fly he would’ve given us wings.”

Some things that aren’t “natural” :

Living to more than 30, asprin, pennicilin, (or any modern medicine), synthetic fabrics, dental fillings, agriculture. The list is endless.

And by all means, keep quoting very obscure, marginal, “studies” from your own work to prove your point ! I love it.

I’d say more, but the coffee has yet to hit my vein. Please do continue.

9. dewaratugedeanom says:

Being a full-blown hetero I’m not likely to understand what the sexual attraction between people of the same sex is about. But since it is such a widespread practice, prevalent in all civilizations, could it be that homosexuality is a natural phenomenon inherent to the (not yet fully understood) laws of evolution to keep population growth – more or less – in check? I am no expert but I heard that homosexuality also exists in animal kingdom.

10. Aluang Anak Bayang says:

Dear brother dewaratugedeanom,

Assalamu Alaikum Wa Rahmatullah. Hope this finds you hale and hearty by the grace of Allah.

It is clearly stated by our lord and creator, Allah Subhana Wa Ta’ala that homosexual is haram; whereas pedophilia is halal.

Homosexuality is sinful and shameful. Allah says, [Those who love (to see) obscenity published broadcast among the Believers will have a grievous penalty in this life and in the Hereafter: Allah knows, and you know not.] (Al-Nur 24: 19)

We should have deep repugnance to gays and lesbians, and we must remind and warn them. Those who insist on this lifestyle, consider it legitimate and feel ‘gay pride’, we should not associate with them and should not take them as friends. Their blood are halal for the Muslims.

Pedophilia i.e. sex with boys is not homosexuality. It is halal in Islam as “pearly boys” is one of the heavenly rewards in Allah’s paradise. Many Muslim men have pedophilic relations with young boys and marrying children is also a sunnah. In fact pedophilia in Islam is so normal that Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) promised Muslims they would reach heavan (Jann’at) where they would be served upon by 72 virgins (Houris) and pearly eyed boys.

I hope this answers would put to rest any of your doubt. Such is the wisdom of Allah Subhana Wa Ta’ala.

Wasalam.

11. PrimaryDrive says:

Blah, sexual preference is basic human right!!

If homosexuality is sinful, its the guy’s own relation with the god, and it’s none of the State’s business; nor yours.

If pedophilia is halal, and I hope Aluang is just being cynical here, then I think I just lose a great chunk of my respect for this religion. Unconsent sex is one of the most gruesome crime to commit. For this, I hope hell truely exists for you.

12. AAB: if pedophile is halal in Islam, then Islam must be a tragic religion. Do you follow the story of Jersey Boys?

13. timdog says:

I’m tempted to slip into my Madurese peramal mode again, swig the very special jamu and squint into the oracle (otherwise known as the backside of my very finest racing bull – curiously what emerges is not bullsh*t but the absolute truth), to find out the truth about Aluang Anak Bayang… however, I don’t think I’ll bother as it’s already fairly obvious…

14. Aluang Anak Bayang says:

@ Finally Woken

The only thing tragic here is your mouth. There is no comparison between Muslims with Jersey Boys. Pedophilia is haram for non-Muslims.

@ timdog

Am interested what you find.

15. Aluang Anak Bayang says:

@ PrimaryDrive

If you are not one of Allah’s slaves, we do not need your respect.

16. shorty says:

interesting logic aluang…….

…sex with boys is not homosexuality. It is halal in Islam as “pearly boys” is one of the heavenly rewards in Allah’s paradise…….

…Pedophilia is haram for non-Muslims…..

it sems homosexuality can be cured………convert to islam and only screw boys

17. Murphy says:

Aluang,

You have my deepest sympathy.

What your father did to you on that fateful night was truly deplorable by decent human standards. No questions about that. But he didn’t do it because he was a Muslim. It’s unfair if you hate all Muslims because of that. He was lonely and desperately in need of releasing his manly needs after what your mother did with the milkman, your real father… ah, you were probably too small to understand it back then. But take it from me; he loves you and what he did to you was simply an expression of love.

Hang in there, son. Everything’s gonna be all right. How’s your Eukanuba job application going?

18. Ross says:

Achmad is running off at the mouth again. Fired up with indignation that anyone dare to suggest sodomy isn’t a natural pastime, our poor ‘Indonesian’ now accuses me of thuggery and lunacy, and of course his hoary old favourite, fascism.
    The insult contest would be a fine context for such diatribes but it seems a shame that Achmad can’t argue rationally on regular threads.
    Does he really think that the Pope, for example,is a thug, or a lunatic. Does he apply the ‘fascist’ slur to millions of Muslim people who share my views, or all the Protestants and Catholics who follow their religions’ traditional teachings.
    He rabbits bitterly that I offer statistics from notes in my own books, as if I were quoting myself. The information I presented was in fact from reports compiled by professional bodies, which I quoted in the book – given that he can clearly read, he appears to be deliberately misunderstanding that post, or is he really such a dunderhead?
    A cure for deviants? Of course they can be treated. In America,with both religious and psychiatric therapists available, a good success rate is claimed – far better, more humane, than legal sanction.
    Fascists – politics based on ultra-nationalism, violence, one-party states – do still exist, but post-WW2 examples are most commonly located in the Afro-Asian community.
    My politics tend towards constitutional monarchism. I’m open to debate on whether parties aiming at the destruction of democracy should be banned. Maybe it’s better to have them out in the open. Arguable, anyway.
    In contemporary Europe, Belgium not long ago banned one of the largest parties in Flanders, because it held politically incorrect views. The E.U. elite sees nothing wrong with outlawing nazi or fascist symbols but won’t stop the display of the Hammer and Sickle, symbols of much worse evil. Eurocratic sauce for geese but not for ganders.
    If Achmad wants to contemplate real thuggery, take a look at what happens to conservative speakers on American (and other)campuses. The organisers of the imminent Islamofascism Awareness Week in the USA are facing threats of wholesale violence.
    If you want to observe real lunacy, look at British laws that criminalise employers who give preference to normals, or which have authorised the consignment of defenceless orphans to adoption by pervs. Or Canada’s absurd ‘rights commissions’ which have persecuted (among many others) a printer who declined to print perv material and a couple who rejected a pair of queers who wanted to use their bed and breakfast premises. An undergrad in England was arrested for asking a mounted cop if the horse was ‘gay.’ Queers are fostering repression.
    Indonesia should forcefully resist emulation of the West’s sickly condition. It’s gotten so bad that deviants are seeking to manipulate school curricula, indoctrinating kiddies into thinking such vile practices are an acceptable life-style. Only this week, Bristol City Council in the UK has had to retreat (for the moment, at least) from such overt policies after local Muslims protested vigorously. (See Daily Mail 2nd April) Let’s hope Christians start doing the same.

19. Aluang Anak Bayang says:

@ Murphy

You have my deepest condolences.

Instead of barking off like a mongrel infected with rabies, bring forth proof and try to refute me. Pseudo Muslims , Moderate Muslims or Bule converts like yourself are inflicting damages to the original teaching of Islam and breaking up our ummah by replacing and sneaking in unrelated ayats. As a Muslim, you either accept Islam on its entirety (the way it was taught by Mohammad) or you hunt down those that attempt to disrupt the originality.

ps. I don’t not understand what your anger was directed at me. Have you mentioned my name to your wife? There is a chance she could be ploughed and sowed by myself during my wild years.

Salam.

20. areocam says:

Hello Folks, I thought I’d weigh in here.

Let’s talk statistics for a moment. Some Posters here have barraged us with statistics that tell us that homosexuals are evil, child-raping demons, so I have a thought for you.

Using data-torturing methods, a certain website that I can’t be bothered to post a link for (this is the internet…find it yourself), has ascertained that a lack of pirates is causing global warming. If one looked at a graph, spanning a time frame from 1600 to the present, one would find that there were many pirates in 1600 and over the time period mentioned, the number of said pirates has steadily declined. Now, if one were to contrast this decline with the steady rise in global temperatures over the last 400 years, one could reach the conclusion that A LACK OF PIRATES IS RESPONSIBLE FOR GLOBAL WARMING!!

So, I pooh-pooh your so called statistics. I’m letting all your discrimination wash over me. It irks me that there are people out there who would like nothing more than a world filled with homogenous, mindless drones, all of the same religion, sexual persuasion, skin colour, height, weight, blah blah blah. Bhinneka Tunggal Ika for the whole world, I say! I’ll celebrate your differences and show you mine!

So, say what you please, bombard us with statisticcs, spew your hatred and stuff. I’m gonna ignore it and push forward with my sense of acceptance and tolerance.

Studies have shown that angry people are prone to stroke and heart disease, so be warned! How does that work? Ask Yoda! “Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate and hate leads to the DARK SIDE!. As we all know, Darth Vader had a heart attack because he was AN ANGRY MAN.

I love you all in a very special way. Thank you.

:o)

21. dewaratugedeanom says:

@ Pena Budaya
    Sorry I overlooked your comment re population growth which partly overlaps mine.
    But as thee say in French: les grands esprits se rencontrent (great minds meet each other) 😉

@Brother Aluang
    Barak Allahu laka wa baaraka’alaika wa jama’a bainakuma fii khoir.
    Thank you for your enlightening explanations. Alhamdulillah. Without you scholarly mufti wisdom and expertise I would be still groping around in darkness desperately seeking for Allah’s straight path.
    Wasalam

22. PrimaryDrive says:

Aluang: If you are not one of Allah’s slaves, we do not need your respect.

You’re either a very good cynic, or a total idiot. In the latter case, it will be a bit pointless for the rest of the world to try to talk to you. Maybe you and your bunch should just take the first ride to pluto where you can live as you want.

23. timdog says:

Oh alright Aluang, I’ll get the wife to brew up some extra special jamu, tilt my pecci back on my head, lift the bull’s tail, and take a look, and what do I see? Lho! Mas Aluang Anak Bayang ISN’T A MUSLIM AT ALL! I sure wasn’t expecting that!

24. Murphy says:

@Aluang

What anger? God created so much love in this world, son. Look everywhere. Even the sheep that helped satisfying your every urge during those wild years down under were doing it with love. I know you hate Muslims for slaughtering them during haj festivals. But they didn’t kill your loved ones because of hatred, Aluang. They gave the meat to the poor so nobody has to sell their body through the nights like your mother did (peace be upon her).

Don’t let hatred blind your heart, Aluang.

25. shorty says:

areocam maybe you’re onto something……

…….A LACK OF PIRATES IS RESPONSIBLE FOR GLOBAL WARMING!!…….

slang oz 4 gays is ‘bum bandits’

anuses are not self lubricating – more friction – more heat – global warming!

26. areocam says:

Dude, that’s outrageously funny. :o\

27. areocam says:

There’s always lubricant handy.

I’ve just realised I was wrong! It’s not a lack of pirates causing global warming – the pirates were killed off because of global warming!.

Genius! I love statistics, you can make them say just about anything!

:o)

28. Aluang Anak Bayang says:

Murphy Says:

April 5th, 2008 at 3:18 pm
    @Aluang

Don’t let hatred blind your heart, Aluang.

You will sound more credible and taken more seriously if you could kindly state your ethnicity, reveal your religious background or perhaps even better, put a photo on your avatar instead of hiding behind faceless pseudonym. Be a man/woman, not a chicken.

timdog Says:

April 5th, 2008 at 2:28 pm

I can tell that you are an expert on ruminants’ arses as you thoroughly detailed. This proves beyond doubt that you are a True Muslim. Alhumdullilah, we are brothers. We will not fight with each other.

29. Pena Budaya says:

@ dewaratugedeanom

absolutely! 😉

30. Murphy says:

Aluang said:

Aluang, I grew up in a rural town in America midwest. My foster parents were devout Methodists so I was raised as one. I was adopted almost right after childbirth. My biological parents are not Americans or of any European ancestry although I do look caucasian. They sent me to the US after a catastrophic natural disaster destroyed their home world. I spent my childhood and teenage years in the American heartland before starting my career as journalist in one big East Coast metropolis. I am still in journalism today, but I supplement my income from a side job that the exact nature I’m not at liberty to tell. Enough that it involves telephone booth, blue tights, and red underwear.

Currently I don’t subscribe to any organised religions. I follow the cult of my biological parents, worshipping an ancient sun-god (does Rao or Raao ring a bell to you?).

I’m still single and I’m not that lucky in my encounter with the opposite sex like you. What you have achieved, sex-wise, should be an inspiration for anybody with small willy.

I hope that clears the air between us and I sincerely apologise to Ross for these out-of-topic posts. This is my last one.

Peace.

Comment on “Curing Homosexuality”.