Dual Nationality

Nov 22nd, 2006, in News, by

Children born of mixed Indonesian and foreign parentage can now obtain dual nationality.

As one of the first examples of the implementation of the new citizenship law, on the 21st of November in Jakarta the Law and Human Rights minister, Hamid Awaluddin, officiated at the granting of dual nationality papers (SK Kewarganegaraan Indonesia) to thirteen children of mixed Indonesian/foreign parentage, at the Mandarin Oriental hotel on Jalan M.H. Thamrin.

Hamid Awaluddin
Hamid Awaluddin, with some budding sinetron stars.

Hamid explained that parents who wish to apply for Indonesian citizenship for their children need to prepare photocopies of birth certificates, marriage certificate, and KTP. Then they fill in an application form at the immigration office, and it is said that the application process takes six weeks. Oddly, the fees are not yet determined. L6

Once the papers have been granted a passport may be applied for, however Hamid said that Indonesian passports granted to dual nationality children would contain a special code. antara

Children granted dual citizenship, later, at the age of 18, have three years to decide whether they wish to become "full" Indonesian citizens, and renounce their foreign citizenship, or the other way round. Previously, under the old law, nationality was deemed to always derive from the paternal side.

Correction, 28th Nov.

This is wrong, my mistake. Once the SK Kewarganegaraan Indonesia has been issued it can be used to apply for an Indonesian passport. In the meantime, or while one is waiting for the passport to be issued, foreign passports will be given a special stamp to show that the child is an Indonesian citizen.

Those who wish to apply for a SK Kewarganegaraan Indonesia for their child should go to the immigration section of the Departemen Hukum dan Hak Asasi Manusia, see here for addresses of their offices - http://www.depkumham.go.id/xdepkumhamweb/xkanwil/daftarkanwil.htm.

__________________

March 1st 2007.

Hamid Awaluddin in Batam yesterday claimed that 300 applicants for citizenship had already been processed, 90% of these being foreigners who had married an Indonesian. At an event in Batam Hamid granted citizenship papers to 5 year old Jane Edward, who had once almost been deported because her foreign father had left his Indonesian wife, Dewi Chyntia. indosiar

__________________

March 27th 2007.

In Surabaya, East Java, Justice and Human Rights Minister Hamid Awaluddin handed over Indonesian citizenship decrees to 36 Indonesians of foreign descent on the 27th. The citizenship decrees were given to 36 children of Indonesian mothers but with fathers coming from various places such as Germany, the Sudan, the Netherlands, Britain, Switzerland, India, Australia, and Bangladesh.

House of Representatives member Murdaya Poo, Chinese Indonesian businessman Chandra Srijaya and chairman of the Chinese Indonesian Society (PSMTI) HM Jos Soetomo also attended the function.

Today, we mix those different backgrounds into one entity called Indonesia. The different backgrounds came from different ethnic descents which used to have the impression that they were separated, but today we are eliminating the impression by uniting them.

______________

March 29th 2007.

Hamid Awaludin says that since the promulgation of the new law on citizenship in 2006 700 children of mixed parents have been granted Indonesian nationality.

Hamid said that even those children of mixed parentage that were born overseas were entitled to Indonesian citizenship. He said dozens of applications for such children had already been received, the most recent one coming from Cuba. These applications were processed normally, he said, provided accompanying documentation was complete. republika

______________

April 10th 2007.

Hamid Awaludin visited Banten and gave letters of citizenship to 42 children of mixed parentage.

Sudarmanto, the head of the Banten department of justice and human rights, said that all parents who had children of mixed parentage could now submit applications for dual citizenship. He said the process took one month. antara

______________

April 29th 2007.

Speaking in Surabaya on the 28th Hamid Awaluddin threatened to imprison officials who attempted to thwart the realisation of the new law on nationality. He said that there was to no longer be any discussion of pribumi and non-pribumi, all were Indonesians.

Officials from the centre down to the regions must not play around. If they deliberately try to make it difficult for people to obtain Indonesian citizenship then they will be sent to jail.

He also added that the law had greatly helped Indonesian women married to foreigners who previously could be chased down by immigration officials attempting to deport their children back to the father's country. detik

132 Comments on “Dual Nationality”

1. avatar David says:

Hi,

Im an Indian and gonna get married to a Indonesian women. We stay in Malaysia, and would like to know what my children would be called? Indian or Indonesian.

Thanks,
    David

2. avatar nathaslina says:

Hey,
    I need some help. ‘ I’m Indonesian citizenship as I’m the older one. My brother and my little sister are singapore citizenship. And I’ve question’ how can I get Indonesian passport/ dual nationality for my brother and my sister??.

3. avatar foo the bear says:

Hi Nathaslina,

As far as I know, Indonesia does not allow dual-citizenship. There are exception for to this though, e.g. children born in a mixed marriage (as in the father having non-Indonesian citizenship) are allowed to have dual citizenship but must choose one nationality when they reach the age of 18, i.e. choose to take up Indonesian citizenship or give it up. This also applies if the child is lucky enough to be born in a country where the jus solis principle applies (where you get citizenship if you’re born there, e.g. US, Australia).

If the above applies to you case, just go to the Indonesian embassy to get an Indonesian passport.

Hope that helps

4. avatar Nathaslina says:

Hi 😉

As you said on the above,
    I just need to go to the Indonesian embassy to get an indonesian passport for my brother and my younger sister.
    How long can i get the passport?? And in which embassy that i should apply? INDONESIAN Embassy in singapore or In Indonesia Immigartion.

5. avatar ahmad says:

asslm….i hav a qustion…am from pakistan married with indonesia woman….but am stay in Qatar…they wear live with me by visit visa in qatar,,,my kids nationalty pak same like me…thats why when i need going to indo must have visa for me n him..now he with his mother in indo by visit visa in indo…the govrmnt of indo dn want renew saty for my kid cz no number on visa.js 14 days…so my wife thinking to make indo pasport from him besiad pakisatni pasport..can or not????
    n also when i want to take my kid to qatar by visa …by pakistani pasport..but exiting from indo by indonesian pasport..can???or in indo airport thy will ask to see visa in indonesian pasport???i need hlp…thnx

6. avatar Agus says:

Hi guys,

I have a question. My indonesian passport is expiring in 8 months time and I am staying overseas in Bangkok. I born in indonesia but dont speak the Indonesia language. Does anyone know how do I renew my indonesian passport in overseas?

I heard there is some Travel agency that helps to do indonesian passport renewal. Please advise

7. avatar berlian biru says:

It all depends on whether your son was born in Indonesia or not and whether he was born before 2007.

In 2007 the law was changed to allow children of Indonesian women with foreign fathers to get Indonesian citizenship, any child born to an Indonesian parent after that date can get an Indonesian passport, children born before that date were able to apply for Indonesian citizenship but only for a limited time and if you didn’t apply back then it’s too late now.

If the children were born to an Indonesian mother but outside Indonesia it is also possible to get citizenship but I believe it is a long and expensive process.

As for leaving Indonesia on one passport and entering another country with a different passport, my kids do it all the time. Never had a problem yet.

8. avatar berlian biru says:

Agus et al

Rather than ask on a website these questions which might result in unreliable answers, why not simply go to your local Indonesian embassy and ask there? I find Indonesian embassies usually have English speaking staff.

9. avatar gustian says:

Jingga says:
    In my case, I only do a transit in Changi, so I don’t deal with Singapore’s immigration at all.
    Entering Indonesia: show Indonesian passport. No question asked (I also use a ‘friendly’ service, Rp. 300,000 and don’t have to wait in line. Don’t ask me how I get this service).
    Leaving Indonesia: In Cengkareng, show the US passport to the airline agents and they won’t ask any questions. Next, get the fiscal free form from the Pajak counter using the Indonesian passport (showing your US address). Proceed through the immigration with Indonesian passport, exit/entry form and the boarding pass for the flight to Spore (not to the US). In Changi, show the the US passport when you board for the flight for the US.

Hi Jingga, I have a question for you. I also have dual citizenship, US and Indonesia and plan to return to stay in indonesia.

I hope you can help me with my situation. First my question is. Was there any departure stamp on your Indonesia passport when you enter Indonesia the first time you are on this trip scenario?

And you said in your other posting that you have been travel with this trip scenario for several time, so I assume your Indonesia passport has several arrival/departure stamp in Cengkareng. What about if my Indonesia renew passport has not has any stamp at all ( just like yours when you do this scenario at the first time ). Will Indo custom has question on this since no departure stamp and assume that I have another foreign passport?

Have a good day
    Thanks a lot in advance

10. avatar hussain raza says:

hi dear i want permenent citizen ship for indonesia for bussniss pupose my wish i bought a hotle in jakarta my contect no is 00923218121755
    i am pakistani citizenship

11. avatar gustian says:

Have a good day
    Thanks a lot in advance

12. avatar Leslie Franklin says:

MY grand daughter (8yrs old) was born in Australia and is Australian and lives in Bali. Her father is Indonesian. She has been made Indonesian by her father recently.
    I want her to visit me in America and her father seems to think she can depart Indonesia with her Australian passport and her ‘Kartu Fasilitas Keimmigrasian’.
    Is this correct?
    I am thinking she would need an Indonesian passport to depart. ?????

Comment on “Dual Nationality”.