Dual Nationality

Nov 22nd, 2006, in News, by

Children born of mixed Indonesian and foreign parentage can now obtain dual nationality.

As one of the first examples of the implementation of the new citizenship law, on the 21st of November in Jakarta the Law and Human Rights minister, Hamid Awaluddin, officiated at the granting of dual nationality papers (SK Kewarganegaraan Indonesia) to thirteen children of mixed Indonesian/foreign parentage, at the Mandarin Oriental hotel on Jalan M.H. Thamrin.

Hamid Awaluddin
Hamid Awaluddin, with some budding sinetron stars.

Hamid explained that parents who wish to apply for Indonesian citizenship for their children need to prepare photocopies of birth certificates, marriage certificate, and KTP. Then they fill in an application form at the immigration office, and it is said that the application process takes six weeks. Oddly, the fees are not yet determined. L6

Once the papers have been granted a passport may be applied for, however Hamid said that Indonesian passports granted to dual nationality children would contain a special code. antara

Children granted dual citizenship, later, at the age of 18, have three years to decide whether they wish to become "full" Indonesian citizens, and renounce their foreign citizenship, or the other way round. Previously, under the old law, nationality was deemed to always derive from the paternal side.

Correction, 28th Nov.

This is wrong, my mistake. Once the SK Kewarganegaraan Indonesia has been issued it can be used to apply for an Indonesian passport. In the meantime, or while one is waiting for the passport to be issued, foreign passports will be given a special stamp to show that the child is an Indonesian citizen.

Those who wish to apply for a SK Kewarganegaraan Indonesia for their child should go to the immigration section of the Departemen Hukum dan Hak Asasi Manusia, see here for addresses of their offices - http://www.depkumham.go.id/xdepkumhamweb/xkanwil/daftarkanwil.htm.

__________________

March 1st 2007.

Hamid Awaluddin in Batam yesterday claimed that 300 applicants for citizenship had already been processed, 90% of these being foreigners who had married an Indonesian. At an event in Batam Hamid granted citizenship papers to 5 year old Jane Edward, who had once almost been deported because her foreign father had left his Indonesian wife, Dewi Chyntia. indosiar

__________________

March 27th 2007.

In Surabaya, East Java, Justice and Human Rights Minister Hamid Awaluddin handed over Indonesian citizenship decrees to 36 Indonesians of foreign descent on the 27th. The citizenship decrees were given to 36 children of Indonesian mothers but with fathers coming from various places such as Germany, the Sudan, the Netherlands, Britain, Switzerland, India, Australia, and Bangladesh.

House of Representatives member Murdaya Poo, Chinese Indonesian businessman Chandra Srijaya and chairman of the Chinese Indonesian Society (PSMTI) HM Jos Soetomo also attended the function.

Today, we mix those different backgrounds into one entity called Indonesia. The different backgrounds came from different ethnic descents which used to have the impression that they were separated, but today we are eliminating the impression by uniting them.

______________

March 29th 2007.

Hamid Awaludin says that since the promulgation of the new law on citizenship in 2006 700 children of mixed parents have been granted Indonesian nationality.

Hamid said that even those children of mixed parentage that were born overseas were entitled to Indonesian citizenship. He said dozens of applications for such children had already been received, the most recent one coming from Cuba. These applications were processed normally, he said, provided accompanying documentation was complete. republika

______________

April 10th 2007.

Hamid Awaludin visited Banten and gave letters of citizenship to 42 children of mixed parentage.

Sudarmanto, the head of the Banten department of justice and human rights, said that all parents who had children of mixed parentage could now submit applications for dual citizenship. He said the process took one month. antara

______________

April 29th 2007.

Speaking in Surabaya on the 28th Hamid Awaluddin threatened to imprison officials who attempted to thwart the realisation of the new law on nationality. He said that there was to no longer be any discussion of pribumi and non-pribumi, all were Indonesians.

Officials from the centre down to the regions must not play around. If they deliberately try to make it difficult for people to obtain Indonesian citizenship then they will be sent to jail.

He also added that the law had greatly helped Indonesian women married to foreigners who previously could be chased down by immigration officials attempting to deport their children back to the father's country. detik

132 Comments on “Dual Nationality”

1. avatar Anne says:

I am now has separated from my husband almost 12 months (was married legally in Indonesia), I am Indonesian and my future ex-husband is Australian. I have been granted a permanent resident in Australia under domestic violence last november 2006. I am now living together with another Australian who is happens to be the father of my unborn child. Since, I am not married with this one and have not yet filed for divorce with my ex-husband. What is the status for my child going to be? What is my next step from here, since my baby is due next month and I was planning to filed for divorce soon after that. Will anybody help me with any information at all? I would really appreciate if anybody could tell me also from the law point of view. Thanks.

2. avatar Postino says:

Hi, I happen to stumble upon this site while doing my research on dual citizenship. And looking at the helpful responses, I thought I might as well get some advise on my situation.

Currently I’m an Indonesian citizen working in Australia. I’m planning on getting Australian citizenship but I’m not sure if I can keep my Indonesian passport.

I’m hoping that I can. The question is how do I travel back to Indonesia with an Indonesian passport.

My parents and siblings are back home and I was told that if I don’t have an Indonesian passport, it might be difficult for me to stay in Indonesia.

Please advise.

Cheers.

3. avatar Oigal says:

Hi, I was wondering how much it cost for an Indonesian to get a passport, and on average it takes too get one? Thanks.

4. avatar Anne says:

Hi there, Rob.

For an Indonesian to get a passport nowadays is cost around Rp. 500.000 up to 1 million rupiah. Depends if they were using an agent or DIY (By going to the immigration office and start from scratch), if they were using an agent then of course it will be around 1 million, all they have to do is show up at the immigration office to take Photos after all the condition fulfilled. But as you may know that the DIY process may took longer. It could be up until 3 weeks or even 1 month. But with an agent (usually from a travel agent), it only take max : 5 working days. I realize maybe the process fees could be various in every city. I hope this info could be helpful.

5. avatar Achmad Sudarsono says:

You can buy a whole passport and new identity in the Riau island of Tanjung Pinang for about 2-5 juta, I hear.

6. avatar Ken Reemeyer says:

Check this web http://www.imigrasi.go.id, you can know the cost to get Indonesian passport.

7. avatar Hasan Zuberi says:

KJRI – Karachi, has called up a meeting to further educate the Indonesian citizens here about the new citizens ship scheme on 07 June.

I will update you all on the proceeding soon.

8. avatar Edward says:

Hi all,

I’ve got a question. Maybe the answer has already been written but I don’t see it. My question is. I’ve got a dutch father and an Indonesian born mother but who has got the dutch nationality. I had an Indonesian passport (Indonesian citizenship) before we returned to holland when I was little. Now I’m 25 years old and I wanna return to Indonesia. I’m wondering can I get back my Indonesian Nationality like when I was little. Because I feel like Indonesia is my home. Hope you guys can help me clear things up.

Thanks in advance.

9. avatar Jingga says:

As far my interpretation of the new law goes, keeping dual nationalities for people past the age of 21 (3 years after 18) is not allowed by the Indonesian law. Now, we all know that some countries (e.g., US) allow multiple citizenship.

So what are the tricks of keeping two passports? That’s a tough one. If you live abroad and want to visit Indonesia for longer than 3 months, than you could enter Indonesia with the Indonesian passport. But then when you leave, if you use the Indonesian passport, the immigration officials at the airport will look for the visa from country of your destination, which you won’t have since you are a citizen of that country. However, if you show your foreign passport instead, then they will check if you have an Indonesian visit visa and that you have not overstayed your visit. That’s a gotcha, isn’t it?

Another possibility is to have a visa-free country as a transit destination, so instead of going to the US directly, go through Singapore (if you fly SQ, this is given — same with Malaysia through KL). In that case, you would just to show the Indonesian passport, then in Singapore, switch to your U.S. passport.

We did the above with our children before the dual citizenship law was passed. Wrt immigration officials, they enter and leave Indonesia with their Indonesian passports, and once we’re outside, we switched to their U.S. passports.

Any thoughts about this? I would love to hear other tips and tricks. It wouldn’t be so hard if the Indonesian law (or the constitution) wasn’t so much a stickler about dual citz. Apart from watered down nationalism (not true in most cases), I don’t see the any disadvantage to allowing dual citizenship.

[Getting Indonesian passport renewed in KBRI is easy. Of course, don’t renew your Indonesian passport and apply for a visit visa for your US passport at the same time or closely together. The consular staff will know you have two.]

10. avatar Jingga says:

Edward, the quickest way to find out is to call the nearest KBRI/Embassy, and ask them what you would need to do to renew your expired passport. Don’t pose the question as whether or not you could still do it, but rather as what the necessary documents are, etc. If your mother (or you) speaks bahasa, that’s better to get the staff on your side. They may ask if you have a Dutch passport, to which your answer would have to be a twist of the fact. Don’t mention that your mother has become a naturalized Dutch.

As far as the new law, you had three years to decide which nationality to keep, but even past that, I venture to guest that as long as you don’t explicitly renounce your Indonesian citizenship and don’t tell them you have a Dutch passport, you should be able to renew your passport and retain your Indonesian citizenship (how you got it in the first place, given that your father was Dutch, is another interesting matter.. but irrelevant). Hopefully you never applied for a visit visa with your Dutch passport, but even if you did, they may not try to cross reference your name. It won’t hurt to try.

11. avatar Postino says:

Thank you for your post Jingga. I met a couple of Indonesians who managed to maintain their Indonesian passports and also a citizen of another country. And what you mentioned about the transit makes sense. Thank you so much for your comments.

12. avatar Edward says:

Banjak trima karih (if I spelled it right) Jingga,

I’m gonna go to the embassy and try. Lebih gampang ngomong dari tulis bahasa Indonesia (I’ve got probably a lot of spelling mistakes in that sentence). But thanks for the advice.

13. avatar Michael says:

I (Australian) have found out that my ex-wife (Indonesian) did not make a real (Indonesian) birth certificate for my 14 year old daughter who was born and lives in Indonesia. She did not register her and made a fake birth certificate to get around the law.

My question is – Is it possible for me to go back and make my daughter a real birth certificate and register her at the catat sipil. I do have the original certificate from the hospital.

Thanks

14. avatar William says:

To Jingga:

Hi Jingga, read your post about switching passport in a visa-free country eg. singapore/malaysia.
    As far as I know if we use our Indonesian passport to enter other countries ie. singapore, there is a time limit for us to stay, say 1 mth, after that we have to leave the country.
    In your case, please clarify if you did below procedures:

1. enter singapore with US passport
    2. leave singapore with Indo passport

3. enter Indonesia with Indo passport
    4. leave Indonesia with Indo passport

5. enter singapore with Indo passport
    6. leave singapore with US passport

Wouldn’t it create a problem because in singapore, yourself with US passport are considered still in the country and if you stay over several months in Indonesia, that means yourself with US passport have overstayed your permit (ie. 1 mth) in singapore and would be blacklisted?

Thanks for your explanation, maybe I miss a point or two here that would enable such switching.

15. avatar Ihaknt says:

Jingga, wont the S’pore authorities want to look for the entry stamp? Or they don’t do that at all? I have 2 passports too but I am unsure how to tackle it.

16. avatar Jingga says:

In my case, I only do a transit in Changi, so I don’t deal with Singapore’s immigration at all.

Entering Indonesia: show Indonesian passport. No question asked (I also use a ‘friendly’ service, Rp. 300,000 and don’t have to wait in line. Don’t ask me how I get this service).

Leaving Indonesia: In Cengkareng, show the US passport to the airline agents and they won’t ask any questions. Next, get the fiscal free form from the Pajak counter using the Indonesian passport (showing your US address). Proceed through the immigration with Indonesian passport, exit/entry form and the boarding pass for the flight to Spore (not to the US). In Changi, show the the US passport when you board for the flight for the US.

17. avatar Jim says:

Hi Jingga,
    My wife and I just got Australian Citizenship. I have been thinking for quite a long time on how to keep both Indonesian and Australian passports. I still couldn’t figure out the proper and safe way of doing it. We both still have valid not-expired Indonesian passports.

Leaving Australia, the citizen must use Australian passport (no question asked).
    Question no.1
    Do we still need to transit in S’pore or KL before entering Indonesia? Let say we do have to. We will then pass through S’pore immigration counter and have the ‘arrival-stamp’ stamped on our passports. After couple of hours, we will then go back to S’pore immigration counter and have the ‘departed-stamp’ stamped on our passports again.
    After this, we will board the plane going to Indonesia. When we arrive in Indonesia, we will use our Indonesian passports (no question asked), therefore we can save the $US25 VoA and we can also stay in Indonesia for more than 30 days if we want to.

Question no. 2
    When passing through the Indonesian immigration counter, the officer will flip through our passports and find no Australian ‘departed-stamp’ stamped in our passports. This will trigger a big question mark for the officer and he/she will start thinking we might have Australian passport and use it to leave Australia.

Does anyone have this experience at all? Is there anyone who can suggest a better solution please?

Please allow me to continue my posting here.
    Assuming I have someone in the Indonesian airport arrival center and forking out Rp. 300000 to pass smoothly at the immigration counter, that will only give me no problem in entering Indonesia. What about leaving Indonesia after couple of weeks or months?

Question no. 3
    Is it better off to buy the airfare direct from Indonesia to Australia or a ticket from Indonesia to S’pore and buy another ticket in Singapore with the destination going to Australia?
    The reason why I ask this question is because, the immigration officer in Indonesia Airport Departure centre might ask for our airfare and in this case it will show Indonesia – Singapore – Australia. The officer will question our Indonesian passports that have not got Australia Visa stamped.

Let’s just assume that this time the officer doesn’t check in details and we can successfully leaving Indonesia for Australia. It will have Indonesian ‘departed-stamp’ stamped on 18/08/2007.

Question no. 4 (sorry about the so many questions asked here but it will be very useful for all Indonesian that wants to keep Indonesian passport).
    In couple of years later, we will want to go back to Indonesia again. Here is the fun stuff. I assume that we have to still transit in S’pore or KL before entering Indonesia and thus will have Singapore ‘arrival-stamp’ and ‘departed-stamp’ stamped on 01/01/2009 (for example).

Question no. 5
    This is going to be the biggest challenge when entering Indonesia. The Indonesian immigration official will look at the last Indonesian ‘departed-stamp’ and that was on 18/08/2007.
    The next stamp having stamped in our passports is the Singapore ‘arrival and departed stamp’ which was stamped on the same day 01/01/2009
    The question is: “where the hell has this guy gone between 18/08/2007 and 01/01/2009
    Then the officer will start thinking that this guy must have passport of other country.

Can anyone please shed some lights on this issue?

THANKS IN ADVANCE.

18. avatar Reni says:

Hi All, can anyone help me? This might have been discussed but i missed it.
    We got 2 kids indo/british and we live in Bali, now our kids got their 2 passports, I wonder how do we do it at the immigration counter, do we have to show both of their passports or each for each country? FYI we always travel from Bali to England via Hong Kong. Thanks

19. avatar Jingga says:

Reni, in your situation, I would think it doesn’t really matter which passport to show in the Indonesian immi counter, just make sure you use the one that shows sufficient documentation for visa and residency purposes. If you’re going to Hong Kong or England, I would show the British passports because they wouldn’t have/need any visa for those destination countries. The Indonesian immig would probably want to know what their status in Indonesia is, so then you’d show them their Indonesian passport. As an aside, for residency purpose, because you live in Bali, you do have Kartu Keluarga with their names on it, don’t you?

20. avatar Ken Reemeyer says:

Reni, I have a child with two passports. Australian and Indonesian.
    I just recently went to Australia and found that the Indonesian immigration officers are of differing opinions. On leaving Indonesia I produced the Indonesian and Australian passports to show that my child has dual citizenship. I filled the immigration card using the Indonesian passport. the officer seemed confused so he went to his office to ask what to do, ten minutes later he came back and said that we can use the Australian passport to exit Indonesia which we did.
    On returning to Indonesia I used the Australian passport and also produced the indonesian passport to show my child was a dual citizen. The immigration officer said that I should have used the Indonesian passport to exit Indonesia. For me it seems logical to use the Indonesian passport to exit and enter Indonesia and the Australian passport to enter and exit Australia at the same time showing them both passports at either end. I had no problems with this when I arrived in Australia.

21. avatar Reni says:

Thanks very much to Jingga and Ken. Your info is really helpful.

22. avatar Jon says:

Hi Jingga,

mind me asking your email address?
    My email address is johnpeter@iinte.net.au

Cheers,

23. avatar greg says:

Hi there,

I live in New Zealand and holds a permanent residency here. Its Stamped on my Indo passport. I am going to apply for NZ citizenship.

My question is.. isnt it possible to enter and leave Indonesia with the Indo passport without the Indo immigration finding out that I have a dual citizenship? I have been doing this for the past 9 years.

I can just use my NZ passport to travel elsewhere, cant I ?

The Indo immigration wont find out that I have a dual citizenship.. or will they ?

Can anyone answer my question?

Much appreciated

thanks

24. avatar Ken Reemeyer says:

Greg, You are ok as long as you are a resident.
    Once you have citizenship in NZ you will have to use your NZ passport, so you won’t have a departure stamp on your Indonesian passport.
    That will be a problem for you when you try to enter Indonesia on your Indonesian passport. You would only be able to enter Indonesia with a Visa.

25. avatar Hasan Zuberi says:

It seems not so simple in case of my son who holds a Pakistani passport and now will get his Indo-passport by next week.

Pakistan only recognises dual nationality status with 15 countires and Indonesia is not in the list.

If we exit Pakistan on say Indo passport then on return they will require a visa to enter again …. or if they show the Paki passport then Indonesians will require visa.

If somebody can check with Indonesian immigration department on this ??

26. avatar Dragonwall says:

My question is, can my Son has Indonesian Citizenship?/Passport?

Your son is holding a thai citizenship and wants to have an Indonesian passport?

I think it would be better of if he remains unchange. The dual citizenship is just a matter of acknowledgement of their parentage. What matters is the KIMS and KIMT, Pajak bla.bla.bla.

You will never be able to hold 2 passport at one time unlike the case of Taiwan. ROC is not recognized by the UN. So if you obtain a citizenship in the US you could still hold the Taiwanese passport and not the other way round.
    In HK you could hold a HK SAR passport and still return to Mainland China without showing your passport. All you need is to prove that you have a home in China and obtain a identity card and a reentry permit. Nothing else.

Better be a Thai than Indonesian. The condition there is more conducive than in Indonesia.

27. avatar Alec says:

Does any one have an English translation of forms required for Indonesians applying for a new passport, forms required for dual nationality for children and forms for registering an Indonesian living in the UK. All the forms from the Indonesian Embassy in London are only in Indonesian and no guide to pricing is given for the services. Also their webpage is out of date re dual nationality.

28. avatar Felix says:

Hi Jim, I was wondering if you have received any response to your questions. I am curious if anyone has experience with this.

Thank you.

29. avatar Jimmy says:

I’m in the exact same situation as Jim…
    Will the Indo immigration people look for the departure stamp? and what happens if they found out that you had 2 passports?

30. avatar Peter says:

I am an Australian citizen working in Indonesia with an Indonesian wife. Our son has just obtained dual citizenship. I have read my son will need only one passport (an Indonesian passport) to visit Australia as he is an Australian citizen. (see http://www.wijayaco.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=108&Itemid=237) Wijaya and Co Law Firm. Can anyone confirm this is the case.

Comment on “Dual Nationality”.