God Needs Spin Doctor

Sep 6th, 2010, in News, by

Religion is faith. Faith is an absence of Reason. Lack of Reason leads to the absurd.

When considering evolution, a debate kept alive by hardened theologists, facts are often misconstrued to the level of individualistic proselytization, highly probable the result of indoctrination none of which are scientific nor rational and too often misleading. Evolution never questions nor attempts to disprove the existence of a mighty supernatural being. It simply states that over time organism transforms by mutation. Biological based virus go through forms of mutation. It is a well proven fact. Even the ancient Greek catered to that idea.

However, this essay relates to another form of evolution. One that is specifically cognitive based: intellectualism.

With the advent of science, humans have progressed exponentially. Not only have we reached the stars we can also define in specific terms what a star is made of. Science is dynamic, what we have established today as scientific Law (eg, the Law of Gravity) can change as our technology advances leading to discoveries which may disprove the latter. That is the beauty of science.  The Truth is a variable that can only be accepted as true when tested by varying intermediaries until proven otherwise. Whether Jane jumps off the Empire State Building or Fifi vaulted over the Eiffel Tower, their final destination is always down. Thus the Law of Gravity is True.

Religion, however, is the exact opposite. It is fixed, constant, if not latently updated yet still must stand to inquiries based on obsolete - some mythical - antiquities thus remain spiteful of modernity. The latter is true at least in the intellectual sense.

Consider the modern concept of Human Equality popularized by the General Assembly of the United Nation in 1948. The idea that one’s religion is equal to any other religion, therefore Allah is equal to Vishnu, will incite bomb threats from every Islamists all over the globe. Will the Christian exact the same reverence to the Islamic Quran as the literal word of God? One church in Florida plans to burn the Quran this September 11.

The Abrahamic religions preach everything is equal before the eyes of God. But it is not very truthful is it? It wasn’t true for the Ammonite and the Moabite. In the Quran, Allah turned Jews into monkeys and pigs. Certainly favoritism not equality is the nature of God. Accept Jesus and you will be saved. How about for the other billions of people on this planet who don’t?

When we compare the Acts of God in the Old Testament, the Bible and the Quran, it is apparent we, humans, have transgressed the greatest and most fearsome sin of all, we have evolved.

Consider Lot of Sodom. Both in the Christian and Islam tradition, when the hedonistic Sodomites insisted Lot gave away his angelic visitors, he offered his daughters instead. No human of high moral upstanding today would callously offer the flesh of his daughter to satiate the public’s lust. To prove his loyalty to God, Abraham without hesitation placed his son on the altar ready to slit the boy’s throat. Insanity would be Abraham’s best choice for defense in the modern court today. In the Islamic Hadith, Muhammad was documented to favor stoning for charges of adultery. Well, that issue is still an ongoing controversy on CNN.

Apologists will and very often debate that actions done or commanded to God’s apostles have temporal relevance. But isn’t God infinite? Should not God, by His Glorified Wisdom, guess that in a thousand years we will deemed such deeds as barbaric and inhumane? Wouldn’t have God foresee that by the twentieth century, us, humans, advocating the Universal Declaration of Human Rights which condemns, pretty much a large percentage in His Holy Texts, as a crime against humanity? I would expect Allah to whisper in Muhammad's ear to lay off Aisha cause she'll reflect negatively in public opinion a couple of centuries later.

With the promulgation of Christianity of the Byzantine period in Europe, the old ancient gods were eschewed to obscurity. Now that we are in the twenty first century, humans once again evolved intellectually and outgrew their celestial lord. The One God needs a major upgrade to maintain relevance or hires one kick-ass public relation officer.

155 Comments on “God Needs Spin Doctor”

1. avatar Patrick says:

@Odinius – I thought I was very clear about the Catholic Church’s official view is that God is the Creator of all that is seen and unseen. This suggest intelligent design to the Universe & its contents. I doubt very much that the Church openly supports Darwinism as you say as that would be embracing all life originating from single cells that somehow magically formed from nothing and over millions of years evolved into life as we know it today and did this without the help of a super-natural being.. Darwinism doesn’t take into account God as the Creator. There are some in the Church who have embraced evolutionary theory but with the caveat that God is the creator and anything less than that would be considered herasy. (I know Oigal will appreciate this 🙂
    Don’t know what date God started creation? Next time I see Him I will ask 🙂

2. avatar Patrick says:

@Odinius – I thought I was very clear about the Catholic Church’s official view is that God is the Creator of all that is seen and unseen. This suggest intelligent design to the Universe & its contents. I doubt very much that the Church openly supports Darwinism as you say as that would be embracing all life originating from single cells that somehow magically formed from nothing and over millions of years evolved into life as we know it today and did this without the help of a super-natural being.. Darwinism doesn’t take into account God as the Creator. There are some in the Church who have embraced evolutionary theory but with the caveat that God is the creator and anything less than that would be considered heresy. (I know Oil will appreciate this 🙂
    Don’t know what date God started creation? Next time I see Him I will ask 🙂

3. avatar Lairedion says:

Odinius’ quote is in Italic and my reply right is under his comment in accordance with the site’s lay-out. No mistake whatsoever, Patrick

Why should we believe someone who submits the same comment twice or three times every now and then and blames David for not being around to correct his errors while it’s clear to everyone this particular blog is the responsibility of Tania and not David.

Like I said, sensitive and nervous. Awaiting your defense of Leviticus.

4. avatar Patrick says:

@lairedion – Why should I be nervous about you? Tell me when was the last time you you presented anything so profound that it stumped me or anyone?
    As far as posting several times it was because each time I attempted to send I showed an error message but I am happy my post did get there even if it was more times than I intended,
    You will recall whenever one of you word tyrants wants to accuse God of killing babies or other innocent people by His allowing natural disasters, diseases or other calamaties to occur, I have said get the answer from God’s own mouth as found in the Bible in the book of Job. However, when I do there is always an excuse made why that is terribly inconvenient for the anti-God Squad. Now you sit and wait for me to defend Leviticus like gluttons preparing themselves for a free meal that they will savor intensely more beause it was not at their expense. You do realize that a good many of your objections to Leviticus have been argued successfully by me in the past on IM? My guess is this is your big chance to have a re-match in the hope you can change past outcomes?
    P.s.,”Elements of Style” by Willian Strunk & E.B. White – get this book and keep at your side (I also need to get another copy). It is the simplest “how to” book concerning English grammar. You see I am not such a bad chap 😉

5. avatar Odinius says:

Patrick,

I’m going to ignore the double-post here (seriously, figure that out, it looks like spam), and get to the heart of the matter. The Church supports Intelligent Design? No way, jose.

Sorry, Patrick, but you’re at odds with your church, it seems.

6. avatar Patrick says:

Ok Leviticus mmmmm? Let’s start wiyh slavery. This book says that slavery is permissable and lays out the conditions that the Jews must follow including treating the slave as extended members of the family, days off for the Sabbath and holidays and being freed after seven years.
    My personal view as someone living in the 21st century is yes slavery is wrong. But that was not always the majority view of the ancient world, the Jewish people and later many Christian theologians. Through the centuries many clergy owned slaves. Yes, this included popes. St. Thomas Acquias came to view slavery as a necessary institution in a world impaired by original sin. There were others such as St. Patrick that were very much opposed to slavery. I would say the slavery issue is best defended by temporal relevence logic.

7. avatar Patrick says:

@Tania – Don’t forget to turn off the lights and do give my best to Marisa 😉

8. avatar tania says:

@Patrick, actually it’s rather funny how your long convoluted babble have so far only managed to prove that I’m right. Read again the first paragraph on my article.

9. avatar Lairedion says:

Patrick,

The Book of Job basically says it is not possible for us to understand the Big Fella’s decisions and motives and we shouldn’t question these. Which brings us right back to the very first sentence of this post:

P.S. You can keep your book. As a non-native speaker I believe my English is good enough. It’s you having difficulties with reading quotes and replies. 🙂

10. avatar Patrick says:

@Tania – Has not God lead me to the absurd? What point did you win, what great insight from you will be passed on? The answer is nothing and which is the same as what you believe. Now that is truly absurb don’t you agree Tania? “)

11. avatar Patrick says:

@Tania – what happened to your last post? Ha ha ha! Ya you did look ridiculous after I replied to it so I suppose that the nice thing about being able to edit at any time. However, it does make you look weak by damaging your own creditbility. You also confirmed that you and Marisa Duma are one in the same when you slipped in Lairedion’s post. I bet you didn’t think I noticed? Hihihihihi!

12. avatar Patrick says:

@Lairedion – I thought I would just dimiss your take on the “Book of Job” as overly simplistic and unsightful. I say this because even though your statement has truth it misses the whole point of why the story of Job was told in the first place.
    The book answers key questions about God and that had previosly been hidden from man and those include: Is God just? Is there any purpose in human suffering? Can we know a person’s true character by how God allows them to be treated while alive on earth? Does God know more than a human being can see?
    The book also reveals that God can be accessible and indeed is open to having personable relationships with anyone who seeks His wisdom. The first step toward that relationship is learning to trust God as Job later realizes in the story.

P.s., Lairedion, the grammar book was suggested as a reference for you when writing in English. I didn’t expect such a defensive reply as clealy you saw this as some kind of an assault on your intellect. Most if not all accomplishd writers use these types of books and their egos don’t seem to suffer. Gracias amigo!

13. avatar BrotherMouzone says:

@Paddy

Throw a dictionary in, too.

My personal view as someone living in the 21st century is yes slavery is wrong. But that was not always the majority view of the ancient world, the Jewish people and later many Christian theologians. Through the centuries many clergy owned slaves. Yes, this included popes. St. Thomas Acquias came to view slavery as a necessary institution in a world impaired by original sin. There were others such as St. Patrick that were very much opposed to slavery. I would say the slavery issue is best defended by temporal relevence (sic) logic.

So, just so we have this straight; slavery was once okay, but now it is wrong? Is it a sin? Was it once not a sin? At what specific date and time did it stop being a sin? If things can start being sins at certain times in history, is it possible for some things to stop being sins also?

I’m fascinated, please provide some answers.

14. avatar Lairedion says:

Patrick,

Am I a writer? Wow. :mrgreen:

And all this time I was thinking I’m just a simple non-accomplished, non-native English speaking commenter who uses English simple enough for everyone to understand and good enough for the webmaster of IM to publish a couple of my posts.

This is really a boost for my ego. 😯

15. avatar Patrick says:

@lairdion – ha ha ha my my are we touchy or what? I have to admit though that typing from my blackberry does leave me prone to spelling mistakes but by your reaction my points come across well enough 🙂
    Yes Lairdion you are quite the ledgend in your own mind. 🙂

16. avatar Patrick says:

@Bro Mouzoune – we can agree that the book of Genesis says that man was created in God’s image and that we humans are descendents of the same two, Adam & Eve then we should be able to discern that we were all created equal in the eyes of God. Then we can also conclude as Theologians have done through the centuries that man introduced slavery in much the same manner that he introduced divorce. As I wrote in an earlier post this means God did not make this decision but man alone was responsible for the implimentation of slavery.

17. avatar Lairedion says:

Patrick, I appreciate your attempt to elevate my status to the level of a writer but it’s not necessary. I’m quite happy being a simple commenter who enjoys reading absurd posts and comments (like your reply to BZ below) from creationists and other people believing in fairy-tales.

Touchy? Sounds a little like dragonwall to me. Countering posts with exactly the same words. I was poking a little fun at you. Didn’t work out. Not a big deal. Perhaps my English is not good enough or you’re not the literary talent I thought you were which is a shame because I do like your passionate love poems directed to a certain female Indo blogger. Too bad she did’t answer your pleas.

18. avatar Lairedion says:

So all endorsements of slavery in the Bible are man-made and not directed by the Big Fella? I knew it. Thank you Patrick for acknowledging this.

19. avatar diego says:

Not so fast, Lair, actually Patrick mentioned “implementation”. I mean, yes God ordered human (the semites) to enslave the blacks (cause they look like apes, subhumans, in the eyes of those semites). However, God didn’t lay-out execution guidelines in the torah / bible / quran. Those semites took the worst ways of enslaving the apes, oops, I mean the blacks.

20. avatar Patrick says:

@lairedion – opportunity came knocking and you seized the day(carpe diem) so I must applaud your inititive in an attempt to deliver the knock out punch but I am afraid all you have done is open “Pandora’s Box”. What you are likely referring to is the story of Noah and more specifically Noah’s curse on Ham’s fourth child Caanan?

As for my poetry it is inspired by many things and people. Ask Marisa which poem or poems does she believe were inspired by her? Oh ya, 1 question that I have, if, as you said she doesn’t exist then how would you know anything about this? 😉

Oh ya isn’t your name Lairedion taken from a fairy-tale? Now why should anyone here @ IM believe a word you say? Ha ha ha! Just joking! 🙂

21. avatar Lairedion says:

Patrick, you seem to think every discussion is here is a match or a fight and there must be a winner. For me it’s just fun. And you are a source of good fun. 🙂

Keep your jokes coming!

22. avatar Lairedion says:

diego,

Interesting take. You might wanna read this:

23. avatar diego says:

Wow, thanks Lair. Interesting read!

24. avatar Patrick says:

Wow Lair where in hell did you find that propaganda? Let me guess your buddy Shocka? Ha ha ha! She finally showing her face again after you and she were defeated in our debate? I remember well how angry you & she became once you both realized my point was valid and your position was proven wrong. Yes Lairedion I can understand now why you pretend to act care free about your postings. However, my hat is off to you for finally getting the humor in your comments. 🙂

25. avatar Lairedion says:

Patrick, another hysterical knee-jerk reaction, as expected.

Link was meant for diego. It’s a different position, not right or wrong.

I know it’s hard to get but keep on trying. :mrgreen:

26. avatar Odinius says:

Patrick,

Not sure you’ve “defeated” anyone here. All I see are mental gymnastics, low blows about the English skills of non-native speakers, board spamming and, honestly, not even a terribly up-to-date reading of Catholic theology (e.g. on evolution). Keep in mind, this is said as someone who doesn’t agree with the initial blog post either.

27. avatar Patrick says:

@odinius-IM is like going to the carnival fun house and looking into a chasim of mirrors. Yes! Smoke n mirrors is how its done at this site. As often as the characters change they remain the same!

28. avatar Patrick says:

@odinius – “low blows” concerning Lairedion’s English amounts to the proper use of quotation marks so as not to confuse where the quote originated. Hardly worthy of your cheap shot at me don’t you think?
    I hate to burst your bubble but just because a couple of priests from a Catholic Scientific Institute expressed support for an Evolution process that includes God as the Creator of it does not amount to a significant change in Catholic Dogma. Each Sunday mass the Catholic Faithful recite the Nicene Creed that professes tha( God is the creator.
    As far as spam goes I believe its the content of the message & not necessarily the quanity of the messages that constitutes what is defined as spam? If that is the case your the real spammer “jammer” I just tolerate IM but I don’t run it. 🙂

29. avatar Lairedion says:

Odinius,

There’s not much we can do about it, can we? 🙂

Whenever a topic is dealing with or touching agnosticism, atheism or evolution theory we see the same pattern with Patrick. If he feels happy with that, let him. In the meantime we can all have a good laugh.

30. avatar madrotter says:

here you go:

bill maher’s movie religulous, I really liked this one, check out his interviews IN THE VATICAN…

Comment on “God Needs Spin Doctor”.