God Needs Spin Doctor

Sep 6th, 2010, in News, by

Religion is faith. Faith is an absence of Reason. Lack of Reason leads to the absurd.

When considering evolution, a debate kept alive by hardened theologists, facts are often misconstrued to the level of individualistic proselytization, highly probable the result of indoctrination none of which are scientific nor rational and too often misleading. Evolution never questions nor attempts to disprove the existence of a mighty supernatural being. It simply states that over time organism transforms by mutation. Biological based virus go through forms of mutation. It is a well proven fact. Even the ancient Greek catered to that idea.

However, this essay relates to another form of evolution. One that is specifically cognitive based: intellectualism.

With the advent of science, humans have progressed exponentially. Not only have we reached the stars we can also define in specific terms what a star is made of. Science is dynamic, what we have established today as scientific Law (eg, the Law of Gravity) can change as our technology advances leading to discoveries which may disprove the latter. That is the beauty of science.  The Truth is a variable that can only be accepted as true when tested by varying intermediaries until proven otherwise. Whether Jane jumps off the Empire State Building or Fifi vaulted over the Eiffel Tower, their final destination is always down. Thus the Law of Gravity is True.

Religion, however, is the exact opposite. It is fixed, constant, if not latently updated yet still must stand to inquiries based on obsolete - some mythical - antiquities thus remain spiteful of modernity. The latter is true at least in the intellectual sense.

Consider the modern concept of Human Equality popularized by the General Assembly of the United Nation in 1948. The idea that one’s religion is equal to any other religion, therefore Allah is equal to Vishnu, will incite bomb threats from every Islamists all over the globe. Will the Christian exact the same reverence to the Islamic Quran as the literal word of God? One church in Florida plans to burn the Quran this September 11.

The Abrahamic religions preach everything is equal before the eyes of God. But it is not very truthful is it? It wasn’t true for the Ammonite and the Moabite. In the Quran, Allah turned Jews into monkeys and pigs. Certainly favoritism not equality is the nature of God. Accept Jesus and you will be saved. How about for the other billions of people on this planet who don’t?

When we compare the Acts of God in the Old Testament, the Bible and the Quran, it is apparent we, humans, have transgressed the greatest and most fearsome sin of all, we have evolved.

Consider Lot of Sodom. Both in the Christian and Islam tradition, when the hedonistic Sodomites insisted Lot gave away his angelic visitors, he offered his daughters instead. No human of high moral upstanding today would callously offer the flesh of his daughter to satiate the public’s lust. To prove his loyalty to God, Abraham without hesitation placed his son on the altar ready to slit the boy’s throat. Insanity would be Abraham’s best choice for defense in the modern court today. In the Islamic Hadith, Muhammad was documented to favor stoning for charges of adultery. Well, that issue is still an ongoing controversy on CNN.

Apologists will and very often debate that actions done or commanded to God’s apostles have temporal relevance. But isn’t God infinite? Should not God, by His Glorified Wisdom, guess that in a thousand years we will deemed such deeds as barbaric and inhumane? Wouldn’t have God foresee that by the twentieth century, us, humans, advocating the Universal Declaration of Human Rights which condemns, pretty much a large percentage in His Holy Texts, as a crime against humanity? I would expect Allah to whisper in Muhammad's ear to lay off Aisha cause she'll reflect negatively in public opinion a couple of centuries later.

With the promulgation of Christianity of the Byzantine period in Europe, the old ancient gods were eschewed to obscurity. Now that we are in the twenty first century, humans once again evolved intellectually and outgrew their celestial lord. The One God needs a major upgrade to maintain relevance or hires one kick-ass public relation officer.

155 Comments on “God Needs Spin Doctor”

1. avatar Oigal says:

I told you Patrick, I am convert now although, I am going with the SINS make thing heavy plan. ..:-)

2. avatar Patrick says:

@Lairedion apa? Read the thread on “Atheist threat” here at IM. You will more than sufficient evidence that the Scientific community treats Evolution Theory as fact and often has little or no tolerence for scientists with dissenting view points enen to the point of firing them from their positions.
    I prefer the widdom of King Solomon who taught that the begining of Wisdom was to fear the Lord your God. In other words be wise enough to adhere to His commandments. Imagine how peaceful and beautiful the World would be if we all did?

Cheers!

3. avatar Oigal says:

Yea and if you don’t She will send big tidal waves to kill little children and re-introduce such lovely little things as Whooping Cough, Polio and smallpox as sign of infinite mercy.

Still Patrick, As you have brought up the Atheist Thread and our need to follow commandments (is that like just the 10 or is is the 12 like the Jews or is like both old and new?)..Anyway as a new convert, I thought you may be able to help us with the below..

“An abomination”
    > In her radio show, Dr Laura Schlesinger said that, as an observant Orthodox
    > Jew, homosexuality is an abomination according to Leviticus 18:22, and
    > cannot be condoned under any circumstance. The following response is an
    > open letter to Dr. Laura, penned by a US resident, which was posted on the
    > Internet. It’s funny, as well as informative:
    > Dear Dr. Laura:
    > Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God’s Law. I have
    > learned a great deal from your show, and try to share that knowledge with
    > as many people as I can. When someone tries to defend the homosexual
    > lifestyle, for example, I simply remind them that Leviticus 18:22 clearly
    > states it to be an abomination … End of debate.
    > I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some other elements of
    > God’s Laws and how to follow them.
    > 1. Leviticus 25:44 states that I may possess slaves, both male and female,
    > provided they are purchased from neighboring nations. A friend of mine
    > claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians. Can you clarify?
    > Why can’t I own Canadians?
    > 2. I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus
    > 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for
    > her?
    > 3. I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her
    > period of Menstrual uncleanliness – Lev.15: 19-24. The problem is how do I
    > tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offense.
    > 4. When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a
    > pleasing odor for the Lord – Lev.1:9. The problem is my neighbors. They
    > claim the odor is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them?
    > 5. I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2
    > clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill
    > him myself, or should I ask the police to do it?
    > 6. A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an
    > abomination, Lev. 11:10, it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I
    > don’t agree. Can you settle this? Are there ‘degrees’ of abomination?
    > 7. Lev. 21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a
    > defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my
    > vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle-room here?
    > 8. Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair
    > around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev.
    > 19:27. How should they die?
    > 9. I know from Lev. 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me
    > unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?
    > 10. My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev.19:19 by planting two different
    > crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made of two
    > different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend). He also tends to curse
    > and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that we go to all the trouble
    > of getting the whole town together to stone them? Lev.24:10-16. Couldn’t we
    > just burn them to death at a private family affair, like we do with people
    > who sleep with their in-laws? (Lev. 20:14)
    > I know you have studied these things extensively and thus enjoy
    > considerable expertise in such matters, so I’m confident you can help.
    > Thank you again for reminding us that God’s word is eternal and unchanging.
    > Your adoring fan.
    > James M. Kauffman, Ed.D. Professor Emeritus, Dept. Of Curriculum,
    > Instruction, and Special Education University of Virginia
    > (It would be a damn shame if we couldn’t own a Canadian 🙂

4. avatar Patrick says:

@ Oigal-I know I own at least one Aussie! Ha ha ha ha!

5. avatar Oigal says:

🙂 That’s funny… Last I heard China owns the whole of the USA, perhaps as a bit of Christian Charity I could send you a couple of bucks… Although thats not really fair, we do use USD here, mainly to wrap around the rupiah to stop them getting dirty.

P.S. I take it, there’s no response to the letter from the Professor then?

6. avatar Patrick says:

@ Oigal ha ha ha those Chinese r suckers! And ya u can send me money anytime 😉

Oh I am the defender of all faiths? Yes, I will step into ur snare and defend Levitus. Let’s begin with Jesus being asked about divorce. His answer is very interesting because he says in the beginning (I imagine the Garden of Eden) God did not want divorce. It was Moses who relented due to the stubborness of the people. Makes me wonder how many of those other things don’t come from God but were added by man for his own convenience?

7. avatar Lairedion says:

To me it’s not a fact, it’s also a theory, albeit more plausible. I agree with ET’s earlier statement that both sides need to tune down in their arrogance. If you put in faith in King Salomon, that’s perfectly fine with me. Do Oigal and others here a favour and explain why Leviticus has divine commands we all should obey. 😉

Why is it that you always get sensitive and nervous when a discussion touches aspects of atheism and agnosticism or deals with a certain female Indo blogger. 🙂

8. avatar Oigal says:

ha ha ha those Chinese r suckers!”

That would be a Christian Saying would it? 🙂 Yup You have really tricked them, youse blokes go in fight all the wars, spill all the blood and they come and sign up all the commercial deals through out Africa, Asia and the Middle East.

Ah I see so, Levitus is a man made construction? So we can ignore all of Levitus then? Tell me how do we tell which bits to ignore in the rest of the books then, do the God bits glow on the dark or something? Still if you could own slaves a Chinese Christian could then own an American, that will makes things a bit easier when the credit card is due next month.

I am glad you brought up Adam and Eve though as a couple of things are a bit puzzling in this story as well. My understanding is once Adam did the dirty (by the way, who married them?) then they had three sons had three main sons; Cain, Abel, & Seth. They had other progeny however these three guys were the main torchbearers of the Adam/Eve family. How on earth were more people created; or how did they procreate to have more people? Things are not looking good for Eve at this time. Of course, maybe this story has been tampered with as well.

Oh and on the choosing evil or good thing..if God is omniscient, he already knows ALL the people who will accept him or reject him even before they are born. If he already knows, where is the “choosing” at all? That means that people think they are choosing but in reality the choice is already made. That just seems plain mean but then again so does drowning babies.

Anyway, I look forward to your response..

9. avatar Patrick says:

@Lairedion – didn’t know I was being sensitive? Could u elaborate more about that? Are u now saying Marisa does exist? Perhaps I preferred it better when she was just a figment of my imagination…mmmmmm? Does this mean she’s already been to the excorcist or will we be subjected to future outburst of vulgar rants, wordy vomiting and head spining comments like no other? Ha ha ha! Just joking my green goddess who I absolutely adore & worship…

10. avatar Patrick says:

@Oigal – whose #1 in Auto sales in China? Answer GM… Who has opened numerous stores across China with the intent of being the dominant retailer? Answer Walmart…what’s the common denominater? Uncle Sam based multi-national corporations. What’s the goal? Turn those closed market Mao-Marxist into free spending capitalist junkies dependent on American goods & services. Don’t ever underestimate the American will to make a buck 😉

11. avatar Patrick says:

@Oigal – God married Adam & Eve see Genesis 2:24 Females were also born to Adam & Eve. They became the wives for their brothers as it was necessary at that time to populate the earth. Read “City of God” by St. Augustine. Later in time it became unnecessary & God forbade it.

12. avatar Odinius says:

@Tania: religion is constantly being updated, just not by fundamentalists.* Many Christians, Muslims and Jews view their holy texts as complex webs of metaphor to be interpreted, not catalogs of fact to be taken as both literally true and fixed in time.

The atheist fallacy is the same as the fundamentalist fallacy: believing that the only “true” interpretation of religion is the “literal” one.

*Actually, fundamentalists are also selective and reformist in their readings of these faith traditions, only under the pretense of being “true” to the word of the text.

13. avatar Oigal says:

🙂 Does this really need a reply?..chuckle…Still waiting on the Levy and slaves thing and how do we know which bits are relevent, seems to me leaving the cherry picking of rules to people like yourself seems very unGodish. Surely a character who can hold the planets in the sky, can just blink his eye(s) and re-edit all the holy books at once?

14. avatar Oigal says:

They are probably pretty right for old tractor bits..Eeerr GM??? That would be the government owned company, paid for by a government which owes the chinese the money to buy said company..yup..Its all coming together now :-).

As for Walmat..(ignoring the ecomomic reality of its china operations) you are actually proud of that? Certainly nothing makes my heart beat faster than seeing the height of culture that a WALMART store represents…:-)

15. avatar kalb says:

Although I would disagree She needs a Spin Doctor, any super duper being (real or imaginary) who gets off by sending floods and diseaselinks of london bracelets to kill little babies and children yet still is revered by millions obviously has a very good PR firm. Look at BP as far I am aware there were links of londonno little children killed in the Gulf but the CEO gets the bullet and BP is villified. I look forward to seeing the Pope in front of the senate committee.

16. avatar ET says:

Any idea how many?

17. avatar Odinius says:

Most mainline Christians, reform Jews and liberal Muslims, for example. Even the Catholic Church has said it believes in evolution and sees the Adam and Eve story to be parable, not history. Talk to most Christians in the Northeast or West Coast US, or educated Muslims in Jakarta, and you’ll get a lot of similar sentiments. It’s often viewed as metaphor, not literal fact.

On the other hand, a recent poll showed more than half of American Protestants believe that God created the earth in the past 10,000 years. But my point was not to say that the parabalists outnumber the literalists, but rather that the literalists are not the only game in town.

Another interesting sub-topic here would be the way fundamentalists claim to be literalists, but are really cherry-pickers.

18. avatar Lairedion says:

That must be a major disappointment for one of the Vatican’s most loyal soldiers here….

19. avatar Odinius says:

Yep, they’ve even gotten fairly proactive about it, using Darwin as “proof” that science and religion are compatible (he was, apparently, a fairly observant Catholic).

20. avatar Lairedion says:

I always check this site to read about the brilliant stuff in semitic books:

21. avatar Patrick says:

@Lairedion – you know the expression “a little knowledge is a dangerous thing”? You should memorize this as once again you have managed to present fragments of information & declare them as the official position & teachings of the Catholic Church. Believe me you could not be much wronger in your position that the Catholic Church supports has unequivically stated over the centuries that God is the Creator of all things seen & unseen. And He created the Universe & its contents from nothing. This is the official position and what dear Lairedion was referring to were comments made that evolution may be compatiable with. Church teachings as long as God is the creator. Harapan kamu mengerti ini sekarang?

22. avatar Patrick says:

Mmmm? Some of my text seems to be missing from my last post? Should say: “…in your position that the Catholic Church supports Evolution Theory as the Church has unequivacally…”

23. avatar Patrick says:

@Lairedion – you know the expression “a little knowledge is a dangerous thing”? You should memorize this as once again you have managed to present fragments of information & declare them as the official position & teachings of the Catholic Church. Believe me you could not be much wronger in your position that the Catholic Church fully supports Evolution Theory as the Church has unequivically stated over the centuries that God is the Creator of all things seen & unseen. And He created the Universe & its contents from nothing. This is the official position and what dear Lairedion was referring to were comments made that evolution may be compatiable with. Church teachings as long as God is the creator. Harapan kamu mengerti ini sekarang?

24. avatar Patrick says:

*@David – Post 52 contains the correction and please kindly remove my previous posts #50 & 51. Thanks!

25. avatar Patrick says:

@Odinius – not everyone who rejects “Evolutionary Theory” is a Fundamentalist or Literist interpetor of the Bible, Koran etc. Open your closed mind!
    🙂

26. avatar Patrick says:

@odinius – P.s., some of us are even very bad spellers with atrocious grammer skills as well,

@ no one in particular – why is it that when u don’t need an editor on IM they are easy to be found & when you do reqest assistence they are working off a Friday night hangover. Ha ha ha just joking Davey.

27. avatar Lairedion says:

Patrick,

I was quoting from Odinius’ comment.

Semoga Anda membaca dan dapat mengerti apa yang saya sajikan di blog ini.

28. avatar Odinius says:

Patrick,

Do you believe the world was created 6,000 years ago by God in 7 days? If so, you’re a literalist. If not, then you’re not, because by extension you have chosen to view the creation myth as parable, not as a litany of historical fact.

Now, there are plenty of people who accept some aspects of evolutionary theory as fact, but then have decided it’s all “designed.” These neo-creationists are not literalists, but they are also not prepared to accept evolutionary theory.

The Church’s position, as I understand it, is that evolution is established science, and the fact of its existence is evidence of the divine. As I understand it, the Vatican does not support any neo-creationist notion of “intelligent design,” but rather that the system of evolution itself is god’s work. That’s a pretty Darwinian view, actually.

29. avatar Patrick says:

@lairedion – Oh I guess I forgot to look to see who the quote was from and let me now take a look. Just looked and nope,I couldn’t find anywhere that you credited Odinius for his work? You see I can read very well but poor you never learned how to properly credit a writer when using their work so you can hardly blame me for a mistake that is clearly your’s. 🙁

30. avatar Patrick says:

@Odinius – I thought I was very clear about the Catholic Church’s official view is that God is the Creator of all that is seen and unseen. This suggest intelligent design to the Universe & its contents. I doubt very much that the Church openly supports Darwinism as you say as that would be embracing all life originating from single cells that somehow magically formed from nothing and over millions of years evolved into life as we know it today. Darwinism doesn’t take into account God as the Creator. There are some in the Church who have embraced evolutionary theory but with the caveat that God is the creator and anything less than that would be considered herasy. (I know Oigal will appreciate this 🙂
    Don’t know what date God started creation? Next time I see Him I will ask 🙂

Comment on “God Needs Spin Doctor”.