Ayaan Hirsi Ali

Mar 12th, 2007, in World, by

Ayaan Hirsi Ali continues her battle against Islam.

Muhammad, according to Ayaan Hirsi Ali, was a sexual pervert and a political-military tyrant. This attitude endears her to neither Muslims, of course, and nor to most westerners, westerners being people who generally feel uncomfortable when religion is brought up at all, but especially when done so in such a forceful way and when the criticism is directed against a religion other than Christianity, in this case Islam.

Ayaan Hirsi Ali
Ayaan Hirsi Ali

Even veteran Islam critic Robert Spencer, in The Truth about Muhammad, lets the prophet of Islam off the hook for his, according to some accounts, bedding of the nine year old girl (Aisha), given that it was not an unusual practice at that time and place. Hirsi Ali however clearly views the issue as vital.

Born in Mogadishu, Somalia in 1969, Ayaan Hirsi Ali was scheduled by her family to marry a distant relative when she sought asylum in Holland. There she eventually entered politics with the VVD, People's Party for Freedom and Democracy. The following year she wrote the script for a short film called Submission, a film which contained scenes of abused women with Quranic verses written on their bodies. The film's director, Theo Van Gogh, was later murdered by an outraged Muslim, and Ayaan Hirsi Ali went into hiding.

Submission
Scene from "Submission".

Later Ayaan Hirsi Ali's citizenship of Holland was annulled, because she had lied on her asylum application, and she now lives in the United States.

Infidel
Ali's autobiography, "Infidel".

Islam, according to Ali, is irretrievably evil. It has not been "hijacked" by fanatics, but the fanaticism it excites in some is intrinsic in the religion itself:

Islam, even Islam in its non-violent form, is dangerous.

The key problem in Islam, she says, is that Muslims are instructed to follow the example of Muhammad, but that in a modern society Muhammad's example is a terrible, unacceptable one. Opinion Journal

37 Comments on “Ayaan Hirsi Ali”

1. avatar Ihaknt says:

Hi MK

I have read half the book. I am not sure who you were calling Muslim hater in your earlier post. But if it was Ayaan, then from my opinion she doesn’t hate Muslim. She hates the IDEOLOGY of how Islam can be oppressive and unfair to the women. And how it contradicts itself for claiming to be just but then in reality it’s the opposite. And how difficult it is to find a satisfactory answer about the contradiction. But in the book she doesnt seem to hate anyone and actually cares for people regardless what faith they have/had. However, she does hate any kind of extremism. To quote her

“I am against every form of extremism and any attack on Liberalism. I think extreme right wing parties and movements to me are just as bad as extreme right wing fundamentalist Muslims”.

Anyway, that’s just my 2 cents. I am not sure if you were calling her Muslim hater. But if you weren’t then nemind la. I suggest you read the book, it’s an interesting one. I admire her courage to speak her mind and her disagreement. Her life is not a wasted one even if she is murdered, she has inspired many people and her legacy will continue long after.

I know some people would totally disagree with me about her. But I don’t give a sh**.

2. avatar Aluang Anak Bayang says:

Gee, I will buy her book tommorrow and comment after I’ve read it. Mas Khafi also called me a religion hater too, but I do not have hatred in my heart. If only he visited the innocent victims hurt by the bombings in Bali. My company had donated to help build their lives.

3. avatar Mohammed Khafi says:

Hi Ihaknt,

My problem with her views, is that she like the majority of Muslims have not understood the concept of Islam, It is not what they perceive it to be, and it is certainly not what the mainstrean practice, It troubles me that people like her get so much airtime and publicity continuing to propogate the nonsense that Islam has become.

As she says:

Islam, according to Ali, is irretrievably evil. It has not been “hijacked” by fanatics, but the fanaticism it excites in some is intrinsic in the religion itself:

This is just not true, the real implementation of Islam is far from evil, and is accepting of all other faiths, the evil comes from the misinterpretaion and the influence of barbaric Arabic customs in the religion, it has nothing to do with the religion itself. The fact that she goes on to say:

The key problem in Islam, she says, is that Muslims are instructed to follow the example of Muhammad, but that in a modern society Muhammad’s example is a terrible, unacceptable one.

Al Quran does not tell people to folllow Mohammed, it tells people to follow the message he delivered, the people who follow The Prophets examples are being misled by fabricated stories, created to corrupt the purity of Islam and turn it into an Arabic cult.

The fact that she believes that what she has been exposed to in the past is Islam in its pure form and the fact that she believes that Sunah and Hadith are true examples of The Prophets life are just an indication that she is just as misled as those she is fighting against.

Peace

4. avatar Ihaknt says:

I understand MK, but unfortunately actions speak louder than word. And for someone whose upbringing wasn’t a happy one (being abused by mother who was venting out her frustrations, lack of male figure, lack of basic information), it’s understandable that she chose to think that way to probably seek comfort. It didnt help that whenever she seeked for answer there was no reliable source she could rely on and she had to face a ‘wall’. In the end she had to look for answers herself cos no one she turned to couldnt give her an answer or at least an explanation. She chose to think unlike many others who just passively think that this world is a waiting room, a test for the hereafter. If everyone was like that then we wouldnt have technology, machinary, etc. I am lucky that I have/had people to ask and could give me answers and encouraged to questions things (although my parents sumtimes regret this heheheeh), although I didnt always just take it in and try to check the credibility of it. For a working mind it is hard to resist not to ask questions. But unfortunately in many cultures, people are not encouraged to ask questions. Even worse, punished without any specific reasons.

In some ways I disagree with some of her views, but in many ways I agree with her that life is what you make and that it’s ok to think and ask questions. Allah gave us a brain, right? And I am amazed that she has such determination and focus to have a better life for herself (religious related issues aside) and not follow what has been ‘determined’ for her. Starting off as a refugee, (although she lied to get the status, but I would do the same if I was forced into marriage to a man I dont know) then could actually become a person who is noticed. Regardless you agree or not with her, it’s amazing that she did that on her own without support from her family. I wouldnt have. In some of the chapters, she seems aware that Islam is too Arab-ey. And that Arabs seem to think the holliest of race while they are just human and that superiority is not a character wise having.

I havent finished the book just yet, 3 chapters to go, but I’m really enjoying it, seeing things from a different perspective. The thing is MK, (most) Muslims ARE very sensitive. Everything agravates them. And yet the religion ‘teaches’ to be peaceful. From what we can see at the moment (propaganda or not) it seems that violence is the answer to everything yet it doesnt solve anything. Or that women should be passive and obedient. Etc. I know there are a lot of factors contributing to these conditions that we can’t really elaborate here. But from the book I learnt that if one can’t get answers for one’s questions, then one will draw one’s conclusion and that can only go either way. Well that’s my 2 cents.

5. avatar Mohammed Khafi says:

Thanks Ihaknt,

I will be buying her book, maybe it will give me a deeper understanding of who she is.

Peace

6. avatar Ihaknt says:

MK, doh! I thought you have read it heheeheh. So far I haven’t seen those quotes you mentioned in the book but I am still going. Anyway, hope you will enjoy it as much as I do. I am not sure where you live by my sister told me she can’t find the book in Indo, maybe it’s banned maybe it’s still in the process of translation. That’s also another thing, if people (read Muslims) have nothing to hide, then why ban something that expresses a different view?

7. avatar Ismayanto Prihandariyanto says:

She is great I think. I agree her that religion(s), but not only Islam should be critized. As Nietzsche or Bertrand Russell could critize Christianity, it is OK for her to criticize my religion. I think she dosen’t critize Islam only, she has also critized religious Jews, which (when she visited Israel) she considered to have too many children (Look up Wikipedia)!!!
    When does Patung post the slave mental of Christianity as said by Nietzche that I admire a lot?

Comment on “Ayaan Hirsi Ali”.