Yunus Yosfiah

Mar 2nd, 2007, in News, by

An Australian court issues an arrest warrant for parliament member Yunus Yosfiah.

Yunus Yosfiah, currently a member of the MPR mpr in Jakarta, was summoned to appear at an Australian coronial (death) inquest into the killing 31 years ago of five western journalists at Balibo, East Timor during the Indonesian invasion. As he failed to appear after four letters were written to him a New South Wales arrest warrant was issued for Yosfiah. reuters

Yunus Yosfiah
Yunus Yosfiah, in army days.

At the time of the invasion of East Timor Yunus Yosfiah served as commander of an elite squad called "Tim Susi". A witness to the shootings of journalist Brian Peters and four of his colleagues in October 1975 claims that Yunus Yosfiah shot and killed the first of the men, and ordered another soldier to shoot the fifth victim.

Yunus Yosfiah
Yunus Yosfiah, now.

Later in his career Yunus Yosfiah served as commander of the Sriwijaya Army Command from 1994 to 1995 (as did president Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono, 1996-97) kodam and later again as information minister in the government of B.J. Habibie. Currently he is a member of the MPR for the United Development Party (PPP).

The arrest warrant issued has no force outside of Australia and does not imply that Yunus has committed any crime. The man himself says he is unconcerned about it, and that he had already explained to an Indonesian parliamentary commission in 2001 that he had never even met the five killed men. detik Indonesian authorities have always maintained that the journalists were killed accidentally in crossfire, however a number of witnesses claim the five were captured and then killed "execution" style.

67 Comments on “Yunus Yosfiah”

1. avatar Ihaknt says:

By the way guys, you will be surprised if you come to Aust that every second person you pass will not be that of so-called british ancestors. You will pass many Asians, Europeans – North, South, East and West, even Middle Easterns and Africans. And from these variety of people you can learn many of the differences in the world. Being Australian doesn’t mean you’re white. Don’t worry bout that Pauline woman, she didn’t get much support anyway.
    In the end Australia is just like any other countries with its own social issues and problems.

2. avatar Dimp says:

Hi Cuk,

those Australia journalist killed during Timor conflict were theirs faults no one was invited them to come there.

Yet you blamed Australia for the deaths of the Indonesian fishermen. Double standard? Or just plain stupidity?

Australia island is a free God land and anyone has rights to come there and has rights the same as the brittons criminal descent.

If you don’t understand the history of Australia then you need not to comment, not all settlers were convicts, some actually come to on their own free will looking for opportunities. This is what differ Australia and Indonesia, Australians are willing to look for opportunities and develop the country, unlike Indonesians who prefer to blame others for their misfortune and lack of opportunities.

You tell me when aborigin people were acknowledged by Government Australia as theirs own citizens. Before that times you tell me how Australian treating Aborigin labor to do their dirty work under slavery system.

At least they progress from that point, unlike Indonesian government who is still in denial about Papua, East Timor, Maluku, Aceh, and so many other injustices that happen on a daily basis.

It is better to keep your mouth shut and be considered stupid rather than opening your mouth and remove all doubts.

3. avatar Cukurungan says:

Ihaknt,

You are exactly correct I am only “Sok pintar man” if not I won’t write for free.

I actually also have no particular interest in talking about aborigine’s plight because it’s the same stories in this world, the smarter people are always considered as cheaters by the less smart people.

However, this is historical fact that before aborigines were recognized as citizens in the late 60’s, they were extensively exploited to build the basic foundation for Australian industry, the aboriginal cheap labor weren’t actually allowed to receive their minimal wages, which kept by Australian government “in trust” for their future. Australian government was effectively stealing 500 million dollars worth of indigenous saving. Until nowadays the Australian government only paid 50 million to the surviving workers and the remaining funds, who knows please ask Mr Howard.

Don’t try to tell me the enjoyment living in the advanced country, myself already spent almost 2 years in an advanced country but it made me sick. I have to do so many thing by myself while in here I just need to spend 500 thousand rp up to 1 million rp then I a become free man and I can do anything that I like to do it by myself.

Again my points, I have no sympathy or respect with those human rights abuser but I don’t like either if there’s a foreign country meddling in Indonesian internal affairs.

regards ,
    Myths Buster

4. avatar Ihaknt says:

Cuk you’re fun to talk with. Maybe the rest went to Aceh relief fund that was corrupted by the authorities. And I’m glad you find having a pembantu is something to be proud of. Applaud and bow to you.

5. avatar Dimp says:

Hi Cuk,

Don’t try to tell me the enjoyment living in the advanced country, myself already spent almost 2 years in one of advanced country but make me sick. I have to do so many thing by myself while in here I just need to spend 500 thousand rp up to 1 million rp then I become free man and I can do anything that I like to do it by myself.

I can’t believe that you are actually admitting that you are incapable of household chores. Maybe living in an advanced country is not suitable for someone who is not advanced yet.

6. avatar Janma says:

Well, well I am a white australian from convict stock. I have lived in Indonesia for 20 years and as far as I can see there is really nothing to be gained from the “my country is better than your country” debate. I guess we get the government we deserve in every case but the good thing about Australia compared to Indonesia is that the people of Australia have more recourse to justice whatever their racial and ethnic background. Democracy has been installed longer and the people can demand that their politicians are accountable. Indonesia is still not there yet. The people have very little power over the government and the government knows it, so they are not accountable.
    All countries and all people have their dirty laundry. Of course to criticise another it’s better to be perfect yourself, but that’s barely ever possible and criticise your government you must if you want change!

7. avatar Dimp says:

Hi Janma,

All countries and all people have their dirty laundry. Of course to criticise another it’s better to be perfect yourself, but that’s barely ever possible”¦ and criticise your government you must if you want change!

I agree that all countries have dirty laundries, I don’t really care about other countries, I am more concern about Indonesia. Thus I joined Indonesiamatters, not othercountriesmatters. So for those who argue Indonesia is not bad because other countries have problems, well who cares, we should be tackling the problem not pointing the fingers at others.

8. avatar Ihaknt says:

If we point our fingers than that means we are no better than them! But it’s too much to ask for people who are obsessed with the big bad west!

9. avatar Cukurungan says:

Dimp,

Cool down man, check who first looking for trouble, I won’t touch Australia matters if they don’t try to touch our people, even these guys are only human rights abuser.

Janma,

It seems you are not different with me, you are a lazy lady not able to do homework by yourself and why you don’t go back to Australia if there is such a nice place.

10. avatar Ihaknt says:

Ah si Cuk all you can do is point out someone else’s fault. Payah ah. Males kok bangga.

11. avatar Dimp says:

Hi Cuk,

When Yunus Yosfiah decided that he can take the basic right of other human being (the right of life), then he forfeited his own right. He cold-blodedly murdered the Australian journalists back in 1975. This is what the witnesses are saying, if Yunus is innocent then he should have cleared his name by telling his side of the story.

You said that these journalists were looking for trouble, well how do you feel when Indonesians are being killed outside Indonesia and the responses are “hey they are the one looking for trouble”.

12. avatar Janma says:

i must be psychic…. I just knew someone would write back “why don’t you go back to Australia, since that is such a nice place…” but it’s not that I said that Australia is a nice place. all I said was that Australians are luckier in their political situation than people in Indonesia… actual quote was :

“the good thing about Australia compared to Indonesia is that the people of Australia have more recourse to justice whatever their racial and ethnic background. Democracy has been installed longer and the people can demand that their politicians are accountable. Indonesia is still not there yet. The people have very little power over the government and the government knows it, so they are not accountable.”

Lets not be children, this statement in no way implies that I “hate Indonesia” or that “australia is better than Indonesia”. Politicians everywhere are just serving their own interests. In Australia, In the US, in Indonesia and in the Middle East and everywhere. The only thing that keeps them on the straight and narrow is the people. The people need that power to create change in their country and to demand that their politicians represent them justly. that is still a long road for Indonesia.
    Sometimes I do want to leave… sometimes I watch the news and I just can’t stand it! For example… yesterdays news… “Tommy Soeharto gets his 10 million dollars back through a member of parliaments account, because it was declared ‘clean’ money.” Or Chris John and his Venezuelan opponent cheated out of their prize money by boxing promoter” I mean if the things that happened in Indonesia during one week happened in Australia over a year, people would start preparing for the apocolypse! But in Indonesia people just sigh and turn to the sports pages….The reason I don’t leave? My husband is Indonesian, my four children are Indonesian and I have a business to run here and a house that I own… I am already a grandmother and now I should pick up everything and move to Australia? Haven’t been there since I was 19 years old! I love Indonesia, that’s why what the politicians are doing here makes me cry out…. they want to eat the nasi from the bowl and no matter if they smash the bowl so that no one in future can use it, they just want to eat everything that is in it NOW. Indonesia should be a rich country. It shouldn’t be like this. I don’t really care about Australia, they’ll be fine. Indonesia has it’s future hanging in the balance. People should just put their ego aside and realize that is the case. The government is SHIT!!!! That’s the truth. If you love Indonesia you shouldn’t have any trouble admitting to that!

13. avatar Dimp says:

Hi Janma,

Glad to hear that, some people have special filter attached to their vision and hearing, so they only see and hear what they wanted to see and hear. I love Indonesia, but hate Indonesian government, they have ruin Indonesia and the Indonesian people along with it.

14. avatar Ihaknt says:

Dimp and Janma, I am a psychic and I am predicting that someone with a name beginning with a C and an H will write something to counter your comments. My crystal ball is clear. The west is bad etc etc. The Indos are too gengsi to admit mistakes. It takes a big person and a huge heart to admit mistakes. It’s something that the Gvt and the citizens are lack of.

15. avatar Dimp says:

Hi Ihaknt,

I would love to have some crystal balls….

BTW, just to lighten thing up, do you know the difference between guts and balls?

GUTS – Is arriving home late after a night out with the guys, being met by your wife with a broom, and having the guts to ask: “Are you still cleaning, or are you flying somewhere?”
    BALLS – Is coming home late after a night out with the guys, smelling of perfume and beer, lipstick on your collar, slapping your wife on the butt and having the balls to say: “You’re next.”

16. avatar Janma says:

Ha ha….. that was funny!

17. avatar Cukurungan says:

Janma,

Sorry Mam, I shall not deliver those words to you, sorry again my mistake.

I also never said that Indonesia Government and people are good, one because whatever I said you can see by yourself who we are, but again I don’t like other country meddling in Indonesia matters.

regard,
    Myths Buster

18. avatar Dimp says:

Hi Cuk,

Other countries won’t meddle with you, just as long as you don’t go out and kill their people.

19. avatar Naga says:

“but again I don’t like other country meddling in Indonesia matters.”

Nobody is, or has been meddling in Indonesian matters, that is paranoia perpetrated by your govt, mosques and intelligence agencies, they keep people like you ignorant and fed on a diet of bs, so you can always blame foreigners for all you own faults..

Inside a democracy you have the right to wake up to yourself anytime…

20. avatar Ihaknt says:

Hey Cuk, in your highly credible opinion, please tell me, will Indonesia put their hands out again to these other countries if another disaster strikes?

21. avatar Cukurungan says:

Let check again topics holy men & women. Why Australia court issued arrest warrant to Indonesia people, better they should issue arrest warrants to their own “Criminal Leader” Mr Howard, is that clear enough holy man and woman?

22. avatar Dimp says:

When there are witnesses testifying that John Howard pulled the triggers causing deaths to people then there WILL be arrest warrant against him. Until then yunus should be answering not only to australian, but also to Indonesians whose integrity is put on the line because of his cowardly act.

23. avatar Riccardo says:

Let check again topics holy men & women. Why Australia court issued arrest warrant to Indonesia people better they should issues arrest warrant to theirs own “Criminal Leader” Mr Howard”¦ is that clear enough holyman and woman

Hi guys and gals, sorry to jump into this so late. I’ve been covering this same topic on my blog/forum this week.

To answer the question above, the Australian court has a lot of new evidence that points to Yunus, including eyewitnesses and communications recordings between Yunus and his superior officers during the killing.

The victims were Australian civilians covering a conflict in Portuguese territory and Indonesian army units illegally crossed the border and killed the journalists to cover up their illegal acts. And the main suspect in their murders is an Indonesian – Yunus. That is why an Australian court wants to speak with this particular Indonesian. Understand now?

Furthermore, Howard has nothing at all to do with this. However, former PM Whitlam could be in some serious trouble if it’s proven that he deliberately helped the Indonesian gov’t cover it all up, thus abetting their illegal invasion of TimTim.

24. avatar Cukurungan says:

Howard, Blair and Bush are the Big Criminal War trio who are directly accountable and responsible for waging illegal war against Iraq.

Please issue arrest warrant to them first before you’re busy with a little criminal.

Is that clear enough holy men & women?

25. avatar Dimp says:

Hi Cuk,

Since when you represent the people of Iraq? Are you 100% sure that Iraqis actually prefer Saddam Husein than the current democratic government. I know that things look pretty bad now, but this conditions were caused by civil war between the Iraqis, between Sunni-Syiah-Kurds.

What’s so funny is that you are fighting for the Iraqis when your neighbours are suffering in Indonesia, they have no food, no healthcare. This is Indonesiamatters, not iraqmatters, if you want to fight for the Iraqis then you’d better pack your bag and go to Baghdad.

26. avatar Ihaknt says:

Cuk you sound so smart with all your comments. You are no better than these people that you call criminals.

27. avatar Mohammed Khafi says:

If Cuk went to Iraq, he would be walking around in circles, Muslim, fighting Muslim, fighting Muslim.

Peace

28. avatar Ihaknt says:

Oh by the way the Kurdistans – the other Iraqis as they are sometimes refered to – are also fighting with each other. Their weapons are snow balls and they have smiles on their faces instead of tears. And the best part is (Cuk you’ll love this one) they thank the US! Weird! I KNOW! But the president was angry at the US because they raided someone’s house with no warrant (Cuk loves this even more). If they go the speed and the way they are going now, I hope one day I can ski on their slopes!

29. avatar Janma says:

Am I mistaken or didn’t the Iraqi’s wipe out a whole bunch of fellow Muslims (the kurds) on their own? Didn’t they invade Dubhai on their own? who then to blame when Muslims are killing Muslims? What a conundrum! My ex-husbands family had an iraqi flag up in their house during desert storm to show their solidarity to the ‘sesama Muslim’ while they were being attacked by America… but they didn’t put a dubai flag up to show support for the Muslims of that country when iraq invaded them… so how does it work exactly? do you get to pick and choose?

30. avatar Mohammed Khafi says:

The Kurds I think will thrive without Arab domination, the Arabs will continue to kill each other as they have done for thousands of years. Islam didn’t change them for the better during the time of The Prophet and it certainly won’t help in its present corrupted state.

Skiing sounds great, can we make it a group holiday?

Peace

Comment on “Yunus Yosfiah”.