Muslim Clothing

Feb 21st, 2007, in News, by

An example of a Muslim dress code law from West Sumatra.

The regency of Pesisir Selatan in West Sumatra passed a “Muslim Clothing” Act (Peraturan Daerah 04 Berpakaian Muslim dan Muslimah) on 5th September 2005. It begins with the following declarations:

• all citizens have the right to hold and practise their religion, and live in accordance with it.
  • concealing aurat (the part of the body that must be covered for the sake of basic decency) is a requirement of Islamic law for both the specific act of worship and the general.
  • one’s daily dress is one of the reflections of one’s observation of Islam.
  • most Muslims (in the regency) today do not dress in accordance with their religion or Minangkabau culture.
  • to mould the way of life of the people and to reflect the identity of Muslim men and women it is viewed that this law is necessary.

Kerudung

What follows is an abridged version of the law, with the humdrum things left out.

Article 2
The Meaning

• The wearing of Muslim clothing is meant to show that people and society are full of faith in God and apply the teachings of Islam.

Article 3
The Purpose

• To form a good attitude and good morals in every Muslim man and woman.
  • To get people used to wearing Muslim attire in their daily lives, and for the sake of having the [teachings of the] Islamic religion heard.
  • To create a society which loves Islamic culture and Minangkabau culture.
  • To preserve the values of Minangkabau culture and tradition.

Article 4
The Function

• The wearing of Muslim clothing is to protect dignity and as an expression of Muslim and Minangkabau identity.

Article 5
The Requirements

• Every employee, university student, junior high and high school student, is required to wear Islamic clothing, while the rest of society is encouraged to.

Article 6
The Implementation

• The wearing of Muslim clothing is to be done at both government and private offices, education institutions from junior high school onwards, and at official functions.
  • People in general are urged to dress Islamically in their daily lives including when they are at public entertainment events.

Article 7

• Male office workers must wear trousers and long or short-sleeved shirts.
  • Female office workers must wear long-sleeved blouses/shirts which cover their hips/backsides, ankle length skirts or trousers, headscarfs which cover their hair, ears, neck, the nape of the neck, and chest.
  • Such clothing must not be tight or show the body’s outline.
  • A forthcoming ruling by the Regent will further explain these matters.

[Differences between Article 7 and 8 are underlined or crossed out.]

Article 8

• Male students must wear trousers and long or short-sleeved shirts.
  • Female students must wear long-sleeved blouses/shirts which cover their hips/backsides and extend to the knees, ankle length skirts or trousers, headscarfs which cover their hair, ears, neck, the nape of the neck, and chest.

Article 9

• For official events clothing is to be in accordance with the type of event and the rules of the place.

Article 10
Penalties
Violations of these rules will be dealt with like so:

• For government employees – punishments are determined in the civil service disciplinary regulations.
  • For school and university students – first a verbal warning, then a written warning, then informing of the student’s parents, then suspension, then expulsion.
  • The Regent will explain more about penalties for students in a forthcoming regulation.
  • For formal events – a verbal instruction to the organising committee to improve their ways.

[No penalties for non-government employees are mentioned.]

Article 11
Compliance

• The Regent, certain other officials, and societal figures will observe whether the law is being obeyed.

Article 12
Other

• This law is for Muslims who live and/or work in Pesisir Selatan.
  • Those who are not Muslim should wear suitable and decent clothing.

Article 14

• The law will come into force in one year’s time.

The PDF file of the Act is available for viewing at http://www.pesisirselatan.go.id/.

93 Comments on “Muslim Clothing”

1. Mohammed Khafi says:

@ atse amae g. yer

For somebody who has professed to study all three of the Abrahamic religions, you seem to have learnt very little. What do you mean “before Islam came”? Islam is the only way given by Allah.

Judeaism, Christianity, and mainstream Islam as practiced by the majority of Muslims today, are just corruptions of that same deen. The rules are just the same as those that Nabi Musa was given. All the rest are manmade corrutions and fabrication, created by power seeking human beings.

By the way, please enlighten us with the Islamic dress code from Al Quran, please note, not from the corrupted Sunnah and Hadith, but with the truth from Allah contained in Al Quran.

Peace

2. kann says:

I used to brag so highly of Indonesians, about how they’re the largest Muslim country so on and so on, but it sounds like you guys really need to get with it. ANd for someone who carry’s the name of our teacher sallalahu alaihi wa salam, you really should reconsider your view, and comments…

3. Mohammed Khafi says:

Kann,

Respectfully it is you who should get with it, read and understand Al Quran for the sake of your Soul.

I don’t carry the name of your teacher, your teachers are the fabricators of Sunnah and Hadith, not The Prophet. Unfortunately you have become so enamoured of Prophet Mohammed, that you will believe what anybody says as long as they say it came from him, Instead of following the clear commands of Allah you would rather follow the fabrications of your Sunnah and Hadith writers.

As I asked of the previous poster, please if you can, enlighten me with the Islamic dress code from Al Quran. Allah’s word doesn’t need explanations or additions, His word is, as He says, Complete, Perfect and Fully Detailed!

The Deen of Islam as given by Allah, has not changed since the days of Nabi Ibrahim, it was not changed when it was given to Nabi Musa, nor when Nabi Isa came to try and return the Jews to the Straight Path. There is only one Sunnah and that is Sunnatallah! You followers of Sunnah and Hadith have been blinded to SunnatAllah by your idolisation of The Prophet, and just as some Christians have been denied Islam by their idolisation of Nabi Isa, you have made exactly the same mistake by your idolisation of The Rasuul. Allah does not need partners!

Salaam

Islam as it was given to us, is for all time, and for all of humanity. It doesn’t need to be clothed in the rituals and traditions of the arabs.

Comment on “Muslim Clothing”.

RSS
RSS feed
Email

Copyright Indonesia Matters 2006-2023
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact